Improvised Block Heater

One word. "wife"

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Sounds like a good reason to live somewhere that isn't Canada. :)

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

Well, for the last week it has been below 0 Fahrenheit with a wind and snow everyday...making it pointless to shovel anything. Of course, DW had to make

3 runs to make it up the driveway..... It's midnight and I had better rectify that before she leaves for work at 6 a.m.. I'll probably have the big one and they will find my solid ice cubed bulk in the morning, making these my final words in the ng. >
Reply to
Charks

- Charks -

- Anthony Matonak -

- Nehmo - Yeah, but by every other measure, Canada is better. I'm considering moving up there. I'm thinking Calgary or Winnipeg.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Winnipeg tends to be cold all winter with few thaws. Calgary has "chinooks"--windy mild spells which sometime melt most of the snow cover. Calgary is about one hour's drive or so from the Rocky Mountains....180 miles south from where I live. I'd take Calgary anyday over Winnipeg.

Reply to
Charks

Hi, Welcome mat is out for you. I am in Calgary since 1970. Most robust city in Canada(probably in the world) One of 10 best city to live in the world. Pop. is almost million now. No sales tax, friendly people. Clean environment, low crime rate, you name it, it's all good compared to other places. My car did not have any trouble starting in -30C weather every morning. We know how to take care of cars in cold weather and knows how to drive on snow/ice too. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Screw frugal. I have a Corvette parked in the other garage bay.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Well if you want to be picky, I don't think there is any state in the USofA that has never had "snow" as in frozen white stuff that isn't hail. Granted it doesn't last long in several states.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Visit both. One is beautiful mountainous territory with sadly a few too many americans. The other is, well, someplace to live if you have noplace else to live.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

I found that using synthetic oil to make a big difference. Car sat all last weekend and started withing 2 secs.. However, without it being plugged in, it took a few minutes to get appreciable heat from what is normally a great heater. (99 Camry).

Reply to
Charks

Vettes are beautiful vehicles. As many posters have pointed out, frugality enables us to indulge in certain area. I have 2 pet cats which technically aren't frugal but, so what?

Reply to
Charks

Hmmm...

"wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which one fills up first" -mom

I like to add "pray, hope, want and need" to the "wish side" of it, should i add "resent" to it too? ;)

Alvin in AZ (100% atheist!:)

Reply to
alvinj

- Nehmo -

- Charks -

Mountains....180

- Nehmo - I lived in Lethbridge, Alberta for a few months a long time ago. I'd be more than happy to return there, but it's such a small town, I'd be apprehensive about being able to survive economically. A larger city has more opportunities. Thus, Calgary. All I've done with Calgary is pass through (on a trip to Banff), read, and heard about it. But ever since I left Alberta, I've kept abreast somewhat on what's happening up there. You don't have to convince me it's a good place to live.

Why Winnipeg? Well, it's been a while, but once I visited the city. I was much impressed by how _nice_ the people were. I didn't see one sour attitude in the day and night I was there. People were industrious yet not frustrated. The girls were pretty. It's a hard to quantify these qualities, and whether one place or another is good for a particular person depends on a million things. But anyway, I liked Winnipeg.

I'm in Kansas City now. Either place would be a big step up.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Hell, Baghdad would be a big step up for you.

Reply to
Tyrone

- Nehmo -

- Tyrone -

- Nehmo - I know. It has a lower murder rate, and the government (I mean the former government) was kinder to its people.

Lots of Americans are patriotically brainwashed into believing the US is the best country in the world. But if you compare cities statistically, many in the US are similar to, or worse than, war-zone areas. In Kansas City, Missouri, when I last looked up the stats, an average resident had a one in forty-five hundred chance of being a homicide victim in a given year. I'm actually in Kansas City, Kansas now, and demographically I'm better off than "average", but still, the stats are uncomfortable.

Just so everyone doesn't misunderstand, I was born in Chicago and grew up in Tucson.

After I wrote the above message, I searched and found these:

Kansas City, KS Crime declines:

Baghdad is relatively safe:

Nehmo Sergheyev

Oh, yeah, lots of those car bombs and suicidal terrorists in Kansas City.

Reply to
Charks

statistically,

It is very comforting to know that Baghdad has a lower murder rate than New York City. Based upon those statistics, I think we should arm everyone in NYC with at least rocket propelled grenades.

Reply to
Tyrone

Don't let the door hit you as you leave. Kansas City is a great place to live. Maybe you should let the door hit you and knock some sense into your feeble brain.

Reply to
Mark Jones