Exhaust Clamp?

Put the EMPI header on Herman today without issues EXCEPT ...

the clamp that goes from the slip-on portion to the heat exchanger. It doesn't appear to be grabbing both edges (if I'm explaining that properly). Either it can grab the portion on the heat exchanger, OR it can grab the portion on the header, but not both. The result is an exhaust leak at that point.

Had the same problem with the stock exhaust. Is it possible that the PO used the wrong clamps in this area? It appears to me that they should be 1/8 to

1/4" wider.

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

The common aftermarket clamps are known for their poor fit. Grind or file the "ears" down a little to get a more even contact. Very easy.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Doesn't appear to be that, Jan. The problem is the width as it goes over the "ears" on both the heat exchanger and the header, kind of like below:

This Width | ----|| ||--- Heat Exchanger || || Header ----|| ||---

The clamp doesn't appear wide enough to fit over both flanges.

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Ahh! Now I get what you meant. It took some careful placing of the clamp but it gets there. The heat exchanger doesn't have any "ears", it's just a piece of straight pipe that goes into teh exhaust pipe receiving end. You use a doughnut gasket and a metal support ring in between. They do suck in general, and I personally replace the whole deal with a welded on metal flange joint, where you can use standard exhaust gaskets. (The ones you'd find between the head and exhaust heder). The metal flanges can be bought over the counter here, separately. I think Bugpack is one brand name they're sold under.

Gawd I love my MIG welder ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson