Replacing exhaust: use sealant?

Quick question. I'm replacing the exhaust on my 85 cabriolet with a techtonics cat back system. When putting the new system on and connecting the pipes together should you use any kind of sealant to prevent leaks from the pipes. Primarily the intermediate to to the muffler? Concerned about putting it together and having a leak? If not is there a torque spec for the uclamps. Don't want to overtighten either.

Thanks md

Reply to
vwtopdown

DON'T use thse hatefull midas muffler U clamps! Once they are used you'll never get it appart to replace say the cat or another part. You'll also not be able to make adjustments for better fit. I use only the band type clamps that VW used originally and even put anti-seize on them for any work later down the road. Good pipes will seal well using anti-seize and the original type clamps. Ill fittings ones will always leak unless you weld them.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Yes I agree with Joe, good pipes (close fittting) could use only anti-seize and the band clamps, then you should be able to remove them at a much later date.

I will say that ill fitting pipes might be sealed with muffler cement BEFORE installation! (Cement on the inside and outside of the pipes before you install the two, and on the gaskets both sides) Or welding. I prefer the cement!

dave

TT's a quality system and should be OK. Mine's fine and I don't think it leaks that I know of (well, I don't smell exhaust from inside the car anyway). I did use high-temperature antiseize on all the bolts and clamps though.

Reply to
Matt B.

anti seize = yes band clamps?? like the ones you buy at the parts store for your radiator hoses and such? exaust cement = is there a brand name

Another question...would the cat convert. from an 92 jetta 8v be the same as the one on the cabrio or could i use it. i drive my cabriolet less than a couple thousand a year and the cat on the jetta is fairly new and we retires that car so.... or anyone want a jetta cheap in SE ohio 92 jetta 230,000 for parts

Reply to
vwtopdown