Intake valve sticking

I have a 95 Ford Aerostar with a 3.0 engine I just replaced both cylinder heads. after I got the engine back together , and started the engine I noticed right off that it was backfiring through the intake manifold. after shorting out a couple cylinders determined it was the number five that was the culprit . Now I checked the heads out as well as the valves and appear to fine so all I can come up with is the valve is sticking . Now my question is what can I do to get it to unstick ?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Reply to
Redneck Cowboy

Pull the cover and see if it is valve train related or if it's the valve itself. Could be a lifter that stuck or a bad spring. Or it could be a bent stem.

Only way to find out is to look.

Reply to
Steve W.

Just a thing, One way to look is with a timing light, watching the rocker and valve action. The sticking has a reason, you have to determine why before you develope a plan to fix it. There are several possibilities that come to mind off the bat.

1-bent valve stem 2-insuficient stem to guide clearance 3-lack of lubrication

Or the valve is just not sealing. A vacuum guage could come in handy, the symptom also suggests a flat camshaft lobe.

wws

Reply to
wstiefer