Truck won't start

My neighbor has a 1988 Ford F-250 with a fuel-injected V-8 engine. In order to start it, I must first pull a vacuum line off of the intake and spray Gumout into the intake as a way of providing it with fuel to get it to start. Once it starts it is fine. I can shut it off and start it again an hour later with no problem. However, if it sits overnight it is again necessary to prime it by spraying Gumout into the intake. If I do not first spray Gumout in, I can crank it until the battery is dead and it will not start. This is a farm truck that sits most of the time and rarely gets driven off the property in case that has anything to do with it. It is probably driven less than 50 miles per year. Sometimes it sits for several weeks between usage. Please tell me what I need to look at. Thank you.

maybe check your fuel pressure. you could have a weak pump or clogged filter.

Reply to
boxing

My 87' acts up if I let 1 tank go dry-go figure. The resivoir-switching valve is a poor design I suspect. But then again, it's old. Could be sucking air, that WILL burn up the high pressure pump. Took one apart today to determine the failure mode. It was cooked.

Bottom line, keep gas in both tanks, and put in a high pressure pump and filter. Both are underneath the drivers door on the frame.

My truck was missing the plastic clips that hold the fuel lines to the resivoir. Also the o-ring on the resivoir bucket was sucked in and broken. Supposed to be nonrepairable, but a 92' or so model filter kit has the o-ring. $8 compared to $50 to a $150. Decent enough. So, check that too-under the drivers door in line with the pump and filter. As always, Luck.

wws

wws

Reply to
wstiefer