Is the odometer turned back (Scion tC)?

I'm looking into buying a used Scion tC but it's a 2005 with only 8500 miles on it. I can't believe he's only put that many miles on it. How can I tell if he's rolled the odometer back?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Bender

Unless you can find something in writing, like receipts for an oil change at a higher mileage, it would be very hard to tell. But some signs would be if the tires were worn more then they should be for such low miles, or if they were not the original tires at all but had been replaced. I have seen that at used cars on dealer lots years ago... the odometer said 15,000 miles but it has a brand new set of tires on it. And it's "never been wrecked" yet the hood has been repainted.

If you pull one of the front wheels you could look at the brake pads and see how worn they are, at 8500 they should have very little wear but you'd need to go look at a new set of pads first to be able to judge this. There isn't much else that wears out fast enough to use to tell. A well maintained two year old car with 8500 miles won't look appreciably different then one with 85000 miles on it. That's why dealers got away with turning back odometers, turns a high mileage cream puff into a low mileage cream puff for $10.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

For a # of years, some mfg'rs (Chrysler was 1st I learned about.) have the "true" miles logged into the car's computer & will show it, upon accessed by its dealership--regardless of what the numbers show on the odometer. A friend and business associate of mine had a Jeep franchise, bought a "local(in another town)trade-in", with ~32K miles, from another Jeep dealer, and sent it into his own service dept. to repair a warantied item. Service's computer system immediately determined the car actually had ~80K on it, which of course eliminated warranty-repair. Turned out the original 'individual' owner had gotten the odometer "cut" before trading it to the unsuspecting dealer. Do you wish to spend a few bucks at the Scion dealership? HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Well run a carfax on it and see what they say. They at least have the mileage of every time it was registered. Not sure if Toyota set up the Scion to show true mileage on a scanner or not.

Reply to
Steve W.

sdlomi2 gave you the best answer. Toyota can tell ANYTHING from the ECU: highest engine revs, mileage, oil change interval, etc.

However, it may just be it only has 8500 miles on it. Mine has only been out once since November. Unless the roads are absolutely clean, it stays covered in the carport.

I used mine this summer for a job with a lot of travelling. I use my Supra, too, but on long trips over 92 degrees I take the Scion. That bumped the mileage to 18,000. It had 11,000 when I bought it Sept '06. It's a 2005 also. So it may just be, like me, he drives it for fun and not as an only car.

Also, my Mom's 86 Camry has a whopping 85,000 miles on it...

Reply to
Hachiroku

A friend bought a 2005 Malibu in Florida from somebody at a mobile home park. It only had 10,000 miles on it.

If its a digital odometer I think the mileage is saved in the main computer of the car.

Good Luck

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face