Left headlight goes down, but not up

I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

Reply to
David Wahl

Maybe it needs the little blue pill additive from Pfizer

Dan

Reply to
Dan

That is typical of 4th gen and newer firebirds (93+). The third generation firebirds (82-92) had problems with the small nylon balls inside the gear. Over time the nylon balls (used to keep from crushing a hand or the like when closing or opening) would crack and break and continue to grind themselves into a fine dust until there wasn't any solid piece of the balls to raise the headlight. Of course, lowering the light wasn't so problem as the motor was working with gravity instead of against it. Your best bet is to remove the motor and look inside and see what's the matter. A rebuild kit for the firebird headlight (for replacements for the balls) was like $10. They're newer nylatron cylinders, rather than balls.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

That might work, only problem is I don't want it popping up whenever an RX-8 drives by...

Reply to
David Wahl