Longer life CV boots??

Here in Canada when it gets to -30C and -40C the rubber CV boots seem to take a beating. Mine seem to last 1 winter and during the second they are cracked open. The ones that go are the outer ones.

They are on Trane axles for my Voyager.

Is there any way of extending the life of these boots? Spraying silicon rubber lubricant/softener perhaps?

When the boot goes the warranty on the axles is gone too, so it is easier to just replace the axles with rebuilt units. Less labour and the two joints are rebuilt and both boots are new.

Now the CV joints are loose so it is back to replacing. I don't see my friends driving new FWD vehicles replacing their axles/boots every year or two.

What gives? Should I switch to a different axle rebuilder?

Remember this happens in Canadian winters and perhaps MT, ND, northern MN and northern WI might have similar temps - but not as sustained as here.

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

Ive lived in cold climates (Norway) and never had the sort of short runs you mention.

IMHO, something is very wrong, and I would find a different source of axles/boots.

Reply to
HLS

That is unusual. Check the motor mounts.

Reply to
« Paul »

Ask Chrysler where they get their CV boots. Let them know you think they are aweful and they shouldn't be buying such cheap junk. Let us know the supplier, I am very curious.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Reply to