loosen screw

I am trying to take the AFM off the carb in a 1992 Nissan Sentra but one of the screws is stuck. It is a Philips and I don't want to wreck the screw head and cause more problems. Is it true that using a larger screw driver may work? thanks

Reply to
turttle

You'd better have a screwdriver that fits perfectly. If you don't, you'll wallow it out. Larger or smaller, try a better screwdriver

Reply to
<HLS

I agree with advice from HLS@nospam: "You'd better have a screwdriver that fits perfectly. If you don't, you'll wallow it out. Larger or smaller, try a better screwdriver"...and tap on the screwdriver end while applying torque--the tap-and-twist forces together should loosen the screw. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Had the same problem with the carb on my '89 Festiva. At the time I clapped a pair of heavy fencing pliers around the head of the screw and gave it a pull to get the screw started, then it came out with the screw driver. Today I would spray with WD-40 or penetrating oil and tap with a hammer first. I'd try that 3-4 times waiting a couple of hours between applications, and if it didn't work then get out the pliers. I'm not sure how long a person should wait between applications of penetrating solvent, maybe someone else reading the newsgroup would know.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

A little valve grinding compound on the tip of the screwdriver helps a lot. Bob Bob

Reply to
Bob

"turttle" wrote

Make sure they didn't do something silly like Ford, who used Pozidrive screws for the TPS. They look like Philips, but aren't.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

"MasterBlaster" screws for the TPS. They look like Philips, but aren't.

Exactly. You can grind out the keyed portion of the screw before you know it.

Reply to
<HLS