Cloud of white smoke when engine starts

Dear community I own Camry 97 with 4 cyl. engine with 84000 on it. Couple months ago I noticed when car just stay in garage for 24 hours or more and I start engine, car throws out some white smoke from exhaust pipe. Last weekend I did not drive car last weekend at all, when I started car at Monday morning I was just amazed. Cloud of white smoke. I happens only at the moment when engine just starting. When it started smoke disappears and engine work just fine. I don't see any difference in car feeling at all. Car runs, starts great. When I start engine after work or in the morning after work day , I have nothing like that. Only when car had engine not started for whole day or more. Did somebody have similar experience ? Do I have something to really worry about ? I do for car all manufactory recommended maintenance in time. Thanks in advance Vitali

Reply to
Vitali

I think its normal my 4 cil has 86000 and has done it for years and only uses 1/2 quart in 3000 miles, I think it is oil going past the valves or something not to worry about.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Its moisture in the exhaust system. White smoke is steam - as long as it burns off and doesn't do continuously nothing to worry about. If continuous --- blown head gasket or worse.

Reply to
Wolfgang

No, it's oil. Steam will take a minute or two to develop whereas the poster is experiencing an instantaneous PUFF at start up that clears out in seconds.

Reply to
Philip®

My '97 (92K) does that too; though it's intermittant to some extent. It hasn't caused any trouble and I burn essentially no oil. Based on what I've read in this group, it's oil leaking past the valve seals. It really shouldn't do that, and some have reported success getting the dealer to fix it (it's not a trivial repair) under the "pollution control" hidden warranty. But that's limited to 50 or 60K, I forget which.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

I have new cars that dont smoke on startup, so i think it is oil , and is good for the cilinders and valves. A high percentage of wear is on startup, some say as much as 50%, whatever the amount , it slightly lubricates on startup when your motor is dry on oil. Consumption is the issue, if you dont use much dont worry

Reply to
mark Ransley

Which brand of oil and weight do you use in the car?

Reply to
Philip®

Experience is common. Not cause for worry. Nonetheless, I'd like to keep the car for a long time, and couldn't say I was really pleased about the smoke on start up, and didn't want to go to the time or expense of replacing the valve seals. The only potential concern over time, actually minimal, though possible, is that the burning oil cloud on startup could cause the catalytic converter to become restricted earlier. Here's what I did to stop it, but you can form your own opinion whether this makes sense to you.

1) auto-rx.com cleaner developed originally for commercial printing presses, found to be effective in slowly removing internal engine deposits. Theory is that heat and deposits harden the valve seals reducing their effectiveness. 2) lucasoil.com Heavy duty oil stabilizer. Coats internal parts at startup. You can read the information on their Internet site and see if this sounds like something you wish to try. I now find that the puff of smoke on startup, occassionally really a lot, is no longer a problem. There is a tool available to replace the valve seals without removing the head, but I've read some who have had the valve seals replaced and then the problem returns.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

My 97 used to do that also starting at about 90,000 miles. I switched to the Pennzoil high mileage oil at that time and the ingredients in it swell the oil seals slightly to stop the leaking into the cylinder..after a few thousand miles the oil smoke on startup was gone and has not returned at 165,000 miles. Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR

I had the same exact problem except I noticed it at an earlier mileage. I switched the engine oil to 10W30 and the startup white/blue cloud stopped. The mileage is now up to 100K and it still consumes no oil in 3000 miles.

Reply to
marvin shostack

If this is really blue smoke instead of white smoke as others are surmising, then of course it is oil. My 94 Camry did the same until I changed the PCV valve. Despite every mechanic telling me the valve stems seals were bad, this simple fix took care of the problem and it has not returned in four years. I contineu to use 10W-30 oil in it.

My 97 Camry that I bought from the dealer with 60,000 miles developed the same problem and they did a major engine overhaul at their expense.

Reply to
badgolferman

A manual I have says 87 and later 4cil have no pvc valve, the manual is for 91 so I dont for later models

Reply to
mark Ransley

Well, perhaps your manual is out-of-date. 92-96 model is a different design.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes ( 96 155,000ks 4cyl) and it doesnt do it all the time. Only if the engine was puffing loads of blue smoke every start would it be a concern cuopled with oil consumption. Eventually a piece of carbon will lodge under a valve in that event.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Impressed by amount answers. Thank all and everyone personally very much

Frankly saying I don't what exactly type of the oil in the engine now, beside it is Quaker State . But car was in service for oil replacement last week. Among with this I paid for engine flush. It seemed to me like I got something with oil. I will visit service station tomorrow to make sure which oil I got and then I will see what I can do about it.

One more time thanks everyone. I appreciate community attention very much With best regards Vitali

Reply to
Vitali