Toyota 91 oil leak & white smoke

Dealership suggests the following things be done at the prices in the paratheses. My car is a 1991 Toyota Camry, with 162k miles. Are these prices too high? And if I get it fixed how long does the car have left?

Reseal Oil Pan ($261) Replace Cam, Crank seal. Timing Belt and Drive Belts ($561) Replace Oil Pump Seal ($92) Valve Cover Gasket ($102)

Total: Approximately $1030

Reply to
jjl

You have the V6?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

this will stop most of your leaks but will not help with the white smoke. Try an additive to the oil that softens and swells the rubber seals or go to a high mileage type oil. That will help with the valve seals which are the cause of the white smoke usually. The dealer is high on his prices Normally the timing belt is a $200 job and a little more for the seals and belts and oil pump seal. There are two seals to the oil pump make sure you get them both. maybe $300-$350. Assuming you have the 4 clyinder.

Reply to
ROBMURR

About the white smoke: the smoke is extremely thick. Last week each time the accelerator was stepped on, thick clouds of white smoke were coming out of the tailpipe, even at only 10 mph. Could this indicate a larger problem, like a motor problem? And if so, is the car worth fixing? FYI- the car is a 4 cylinder.

Reply to
jjl

White smoke usually indicated water being introduced into the combustion chamber, and the source can be a blown head gasket, cracked head/block, etc. If the water gets into the oil, and it contains anti-freeze, it will likely turn into jelled goop. :-[

Does the radiator water level drop rapidly, and continuously when driven, but not when sitting?

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

Yes.

And if so, is the car worth fixing?

Not at the prices you've been quoting.

I'm at a draw back commenting on your problem, because you're relying on mechanics to do your work. It's hard to find a well qualified, reasonably priced, honest mechanic. Cars always cost money either through payments or repairs. The 1991 four cylinder Camry is one of the most trouble free. Seems odd the head gasket should be giving you trouble. Ususally, these are only a problem when the engine has been allowed to overheat. I'm often surprised at how inexpensively used Camrys of that era can be purchased, so you might be better finding one in good condition, for sale. Cars have a chronological age and an effective age. It all depends on the care they've received. I don't think you can do the work at the mechanic you're considering. The oil pump gaskets are under $20 for the parts, same for the oil pan gasket. The rest is labor. Try to find a good independent garage, and even if you don't do any of your own work, try reading some books about general automotive maintenance so you're better informed when considering work, and understanding the maintenance requirements.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus