Low Temp Lubricant For Gas Cover Plate

Hello,

Looking for a suggestion as to what Brand and actual product to purchase.

It's been cold, really cold up here the last few days. Sub zero !

The Cover the covers up the gas filler receptacle doesn't always release. I do not think the problem is between the dash release lever, or the cable leading to it.

I think it is the release catch and/or the hinge at the cover itself.

So, looking for a preventive lube that I can coat these parts with that would still lubricate at these temps.

Not a product to release or defrost something already frozen, but something to prevent and keep lubricated at low temps.

A spray, I think, with a small tube to direct the spray (like the WD-40 product always seems to come with, with their spray cans) would probably be best.

Thanks, Bob

what should I buy ?

Reply to
Bob

Powdered graphite or other dry lube would be better.

Reply to
Steve W.

The traditional low temp lubricants are dry teflon spray and graphite. Both, being solids, don't thicken at low temperature.

Another thing you might consider is Blue Streak distributor grease, which is a silicone-based grease that seems to work well at very low and very high temperatures. No spray can, though. Or Dow #33.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey