Magnets, apple corers and other fuel saving devices

The later. He felt we had perfected it. This was before higher octane fuels, higher temp thermostats, and the improved oils and sealed, pressurized systems that allowed the later.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote: mile. So much for that.

This prof figured 30% would be about absolute max. My understand that present car engines are at least 35% max, maybe a point or so higher, even. 'course, I have heard that industrial diesels are in the high

40s, and steam turbines near 50%.

That figure for car engines is best efficiency, at optimum load and rpm. Average over a real urban driving cycle is of course much less.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

At one time didn't PM run advertisements for some of these fuel extenders and other miracle products?

That is a useful article, although for most of us it proves the obvious. I only hope the crowd that would be taken in by such snake oil pitches would also read PM.

Reply to
John S.

PM ran a bunch of snakeoil ads of all types. I noticed that in this issue the classified ad section in the back of the magazine was very very small.

I hope this is a trend toward a quality magazine, since the recent years of both Popular Science and Popular Mechanics have been worthless.

I cannot understand why no one has filed suit against these people, since it is clear they are bilking the public, the products are worthless, and the claims are false.

Reply to
<HLS

I dont mean PM or PS. I mean the purveyors of worthless mileage gadgets. Sorry for the change in the line of thought.

Reply to
<HLS