extra Magnets ??

Putting EXTRA magnets on the bottom of the oil pan and transmission pan to catch debris... good idea or bad?!

Reply to
Sonny H

Don't put too many there else you'll be collecting man-hole covers.

Reply to
Sounds Like A Porsche

Reply to
Michael McNeil

That's didn't answer my question. You must wash floors for a living.

Reply to
Sonny H

Very funny, huh? I laughed so hard I just shit in my underwear.

Reply to
Sonny H

To Doc: (one of the few people that can post an intelligent response)

There are small magnets inside the Rear End, Oil Pan, and Transmission pan - that collect debris. By adding another magnet (on the outside) for extra support, could this help collect the debris even more?

I do front alignments. And a Mechanic I know brought his car in for an Alignment. I noticed he had a large magnet under the oil pan and transmission pan of his truck. I didn't say anything to him. I'm just wondering if anyone else does this?

Thank you for an intelligent response, Doc.

Reply to
Sonny H

I dunno... I'd just let the oil filter catch anything in the oil pan.. as far as transmission... I don't think I'd be sticking a big magnet there either.. just don't find it necessary. Use regular oil change intervals.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

exactly. If it was maintaned properly anyways there would be no such need for a magnet there to collect anything. Most will flush out with an oil change anyways.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

1993 chevrolet silverado 340,000+ kilometers >I dunno... I'd just let the oil filter catch anything in the oil pan.. as
Reply to
Michael McNeil

I don't really understand the thought process here. The magnet will cause ferrous debris to accumulate around the magnet but then what are you going to do? The crap is still inside your pan and you have to hope it washes out when you change the oil. Why not let the magnet on the filler plug catch it and then clean that magnet when you change the oil. If you have enough debris to worry about you won't have an engine very long anyhow. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

I used to put a magnet on the oil filter. It may help and can not do any harm. I agree that with proper maintained, it is not really needed.

Reply to
sf/gf

General Motors installs a magnet in the oil pan of a lot of their automatic transmissions as well as the differential cover of a lot of rear ends. The premise is that you will perform specified oil changes and clean the magnets as well. The engine, I wouldn't do that. If anything get a drain plug with a small magnetic end on it. Never put a magnet where you won't or can't clean it.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Hi!

This is just a guess--but if you're worried about one magnet not collecting all the debris, then perhaps there is another more serious problem. The one magnet that the factory provides seems to be pretty strong, and if you've ever run even a weak magnet through metal filings you will see that it collects a whole ton of them.

I don't think it makes much sense to add additional magnets to collect debris...think about what might happen if one of them comes off and lands or gets pulled to somewhere it should not go.

Just my personal $0.02. Take it for what you will, but I am trying to help out.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

My thoughts are that if a bigger magnet would serve to extend the service life of the vehicle GM would have put a bigger one in at the factory. If you have more junk floating around than the stock magnet can deal with, you have bigger problems. Bigger magnets won't hurt anything, they won't help either.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D extra Magnets ?? . Cool snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Sonny=A0H) started a funny little thread with: . Putting EXTRA magnets on the bottom of the oil pan and transmission pan to catch debris...

good idea or bad?! =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

good idea

~:~ MarshMonster ~has cast his ballot~ =3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks for your opinion, and everyone else.

Reply to
Sonny H

trans is ok...it has a magnet and you can clean the magnet at service time. On the oil pan you could put a plug in with a magnet on it, Ive seen them somewhere. That way you can clean it at oil changes. if you just stick a magnet on the oil pan there is no way to get the debris out. I think maybe you worry too much :) Thats what oil filters are for anyway.

Reply to
Scott M

Marsh has spewed ten times worse stuff than that. If he emailed unsolicited insults to someone then he deserves every bit of what Sonny said, and more.

Reply to
Battleax

Even so, keep the filth off here. Nobody here (that I'm aware of) is getting paid to help other people. People that post here need to realize that they are borrowing the time and knowledge of other people and should be considerate enough to ignore flaming emails or at the very least keep it off here so other people can continue enjoying their newsgroup experience. Just my .02 cents.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

memset:

okay micky. whatever you say, sir

Reply to
Sonny H

memset:

Who started it? I asked a question and got stupidity as a reply. I'll post whatever I feel in nessessary. Just MY $0.01 cent

Reply to
Sonny H