Oil Magnets

OK.

I have an ION 3 with the ecotec 2.2 liter engine.

It has the cartridge old filter. I notice that there is enough room to put a magnet between the filter cartridge and the engine block.

If one puts a magnet there, the oil will come from the oil pump, past the magnet, through the filter and then to the engine.

It sure looks to me like this is an easy simple way to get just a little extra oil filtering.

I know that Saturn puts magnets in their transmission filters for their SL automatic transmissions, so I suspect that there's some benefit to doing it.

(I also know that the dealers often remove those same magnets when they change the transmission filters, so I suspect that there's not a whole lot of benefit to it [or maybe automatic transmission rebuilds are lucrative?]).

Love to know the thoughts of the folks on the group.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

...they will help to correct the error in the GPS enhanced PCM so the Blue Meanies can pin point your location more accurately the next time you're street racing!

Seriously - didn't know that was done period - interesting way of collecting large pieces of metal. Hmmm...

What is the flow - from the pump through the outside and return to the engine via the center tube (or vice versa)?

lucrative?]).

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

It will collect metal particals even smaller than the oil filter can catch.

Reply to
<mcben