male with shock absorber question

hi there, i just changed the front shocks on my 1982 escort as one was leaking oil.My problem is that they are much more noisier that my old ones when hitting potholes etc (the suspension feels much smoother however).

on large bumps an additional disconcerting sounds is made, like something is loose/rattling .

the new shocks are Monroes of the macpherson type. each attaches to the car body via two nuts at the top.A bolt in a clamp holds strut to the hub assembly.

as far as i know i followed the haynes instructions and nothing looks loose.took care when transplanting the springs so ends go correctly in their grove. cant understand where that type of sound is being generated.

anyone have any ideas where i could have botched this up?

thanks, Sam

Reply to
Sam

I would think that the new shocks have mellowed the suspension travel and speed of travel out, so something else worn out is now showing up.

Mike

Sam wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Try retightening the upper strut nut on the end of the shaft and check the upper mount plate as well with the car on the ground.

Reply to
pete selby

Probably worn lower control arm bushings. If it sounds like an empty milk jug bouncing under your hood. I'd look at the bushings. I never owned one but I worked on my brothers. Change that timing belt. If it goes, it won't be worth fixing

Reply to
Akacguy6161

thanks for all your replies...the bolt at then end of each strut turned out to be loose...i had tightened both when the wheels were jacked up. when i lowered car they were still loose.... (haynes did say to tighten after lowering car)...oops

Sam

Reply to
Sam

|hi there, |i just changed the front shocks on my 1982 escort as one was leaking |oil.My problem is that they are much more noisier that my old ones |when hitting potholes etc (the suspension feels much smoother |however). | |on large bumps an additional disconcerting sounds is made, like |something is loose/rattling . | |the new shocks are Monroes of the macpherson type. each attaches to |the car body via two nuts at the top.A bolt in a clamp holds strut to |the hub assembly. | |as far as i know i followed the haynes instructions and nothing looks |loose.took care when transplanting the springs so ends go correctly in |their grove. cant understand where that type of sound is being |generated. | |anyone have any ideas where i could have botched this up? | |thanks, |Sam

Reply to
Rex B