Malfunctioning Speedometer

Hello,
I have a problem with my speedometer and the symptoms are listed EXACTLY in the link below:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl220i.htm
Problem is that the article doesn't explain how to resolve the problem.
Really hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on how to resolve this issue.
Thanks in advance!
Sorry, but I for one don't really want to go to a commercial website to read about someone else's troubles. If it wasn't just a spam to get hits for the site, then maybe, but you are preceded by too many...
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Fair enough. Here is the meat of the article:
Ford Ranger Speedometer Quit Working
Q. I own a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT regular cab with a 4 cylinder engine and a manual transmission. I am currently having a problem with my speedometer and odometer. My speedometer has been lagging for at least six months. It was not working until I hit about 30 mph. Two days ago it stopped working all together along with my odometer. My Check Engine Light (MIL) and ABS light have been on for about the same amount of time. What do you think is wrong with the truck?
A. Beginning in 1998, the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) has been deleted from Ford truck models. On vehicles equipped with 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brake Systems (4WABS) , the vehicle speed signal is generated by the rear anti-lock brake sensor and sent to the 4WABS module. The 4WABS module sends the vehicle speed signal to all systems which require a vehicle speed signal input. Ford Ranger Speedometer Quit Working Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is located on the rear differential.
Vehicles equipped with Rear Anti-lock Brakes (RABS) generate a vehicle speed signal from the rear axle speed sensor. The Generic Electronic Module (GEM) receives this signal (VSS_GEM) for internal use and then distributes it to the appropriate other users, i.e., the PCM, speed control module, and speedometer. If you just had different tires installed, the new tire information needs to be input to the GEM to turn off the MIL and ABS lights.
Mike Romain wrote:

My guess would be the connection on the sender on the back diff is dirty. I find these new computer sensors get corroded pins really easily because of the low power of the signal. The pins can still look clean, but have enough at the scratch point to affect the signal.
I use a spray contact cleaner on all my sensor plug and sockets with a nice coat of dielectric grease on the sealing skirts of the connections.
Or maybe they are now using windoze and it just needs a reboot like the article implies....
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

He's (at least more or less) on the level - Looks to be a Q&A type operation, and the site discusses a speedo problem.
(Don't blame ya for being suspicious... I was too, but my curiousity got the best of me in the end :) )
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
Don Bruder wrote:

No, <anything>.about.com is a garbage / spam site. About the only good point is it doesn't try to hijack your browser.
Well, it turned out to be the 4WABS speed sensor in the diff.
$25 part. Changed it out and all is working good again.
Thanks! :)