mazda timer belt part and costs

does this sound ok as far as approximately the parts and labor?

I was quoted about $700-750 for costs, including parts and labor for a 1996 v6 dohc mazda engine

in addition to timer belt, there is a tensioner and a couple smaller parts plus a couple gaskets, total parts about $450-500

just wanted to check if that sounds about normal, in case it matters all the parts are original mazda parts

Reply to
Tom Hillervik

Is this a dealership?

When I replaced the timing belt on my car it cost $37 for the belt from Canadian Tire, that's all. I don't see why they'd want to replace the tensioner and the timing belt cover gaskets. They haven't even taken them off yet to see if they need replacing.

I'd call around and get some estimates > does this sound ok as far as approximately the parts and labor?

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

the parts and labor are done at a repairshop, so, yes (in the sense that I am not doing the work)

while I note you got the timing belt from 'canadian tire', I'm using original mazda parts, so I do recognize they cost a little more, original mazda timer belt about $75

I also asked for the tensioner(s) to be replaced as I plan on keeping the car another 50-100k miles and would hate to find out later but if the tensioner(s) are not replaced, the total cost drops to around 400 (parts and labor)

normally mazda does not replace tensioner(s) until 100k miles

just wanted to check on the total estimate for all parts

Reply to
Tom Hillervik

mst

If you have confirmed the parts costs the labor costs sounds to be in-line. I would have as much faith in Gates products as the dealers and you might save some money using the aftermarket parts though.

How is the waterpump driven on your car? If it is driven by the timing belt it needs to be replaced as well.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.