Metric On Cars ?

I have very old top loader. My Mother has an almost brand new front loader. Maybe the front loader uses less water, but I see no improvement in cleaning and all the gyrations the front loaders go through seem pointless. And while they may use less water, they sure seem to take a long time using it. I looked at the CR ratings and the top rated front loader took almost a third longer to complete the washing cycle than the top rated top loader. Both were given top marks for "washing performance." Interestingly, both were also given top marks for "water efficiency." The front laoder had a target price of $1100 (and that doesn't include the base you need to get the thing up off the floor so it is easier to load). The top loader had a target price of $700. I can't see paying almost 50% more for a longer cycle and otherwise similar performance (I am only comparing the CR top rated models, there were wide variation in prices for both front loaders and top loaders - in fact I think the most expensive machine listed was a top loader, but so was the cheapest by a large margin). The only advantages I could see in general for the front loader was slightly better "energy performance" and that CR claimed it was more gentle on the clothes.

I know sooner or later my old top loader will die....I suppose I'll end up buying a front loader to replace it but I am not sure why. Probably becasue it will look good next to my Dyson vaccum cleaner.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

ed, please re-read what i said. the action of the front loader makes for better cleaning for the reason stated. thus you can use less detergent and water for the /same/ cleaning as the top loader. and let's face it, most people aren't exactly on the edge of the cleaning envelope simply washing a towel after just one shower.

here's a simple test for you

take some synthetic sports clothes and sweat into them for a few months. wash them in unscented, unbleaching detergent. make careful note of the accumulating odor. [also note that hot washing is not an option.]

then wash them in a front loader, same detergent, same water temp. you will immediately notice something...

Reply to
jim beam
[snip]

Try an exercise in reductio ad absurdum.

Assume that the machine cost is (almost) no object. Efficiency and performance are all that matter. What you have is a top of the line commercial washing machine.

Now, take a look at how many commercial machines are front vs top loading.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ha ha, I got one of those in my condo. The one thing you can say about these things is that they sure cost a lot! Other than that, they seem to wash clothes OK. OTOH, I can't believe how long it takes to wash some clothes - over 50 minutes! It does use a lot less water. OTOH, it's going to take a lot of saved water to make up for the additional cost of this machine. OTOH, the multi-colored LEDs on the front panel sure are pretty and sometimes I like to watch my clothes tumble in soapy water.

Reply to
dsi1

I feel your pain, what we need is a "wrench monkey." You just point out the fastener you want taken out with a laser pointer and wrench monkey takes care of the rest. My understanding is those fellers have a right powerful grip in those skinny little arms and hands. When they're not monkeying around with the car, they can wash and wax your ride, i.e., "monkey shine."

Reply to
dsi1

I don't know how to respond to this.

Reply to
dsi1

[in theory anyway] front loaders offer the potential to be tremendously reliable. with direct drive, very few other moving parts, and fully electronic control, there's not much to go wrong.
Reply to
jim beam

Human beings are distinguished from the lower animals by their ability to make many specific tools to solve individual problems.

As of Monday morning when I dragged the gas welder out of the shed, such a wrench exists. It's a little sloppy, but it'll be fine.

Next step is an oil filter holding gadget for the 2002.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

dsi1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@oo8g2000pbc.googlegroups.com:

I have my own well and softner that recharges by the gallons used. Just in water and salt the front loader is very noticibly more efficient. also I can tell it does do a better job of cleaning my dirty greasy clothes. I wouldn`t dream of going back to the top loader. KB PS my front loader only cost 200 more than a good top loader.

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

@oo8g2000pbc.googlegroups.com:

I agree that they're a good idea if you need to conserve water. They are very good at this!

Reply to
dsi1

That depends. You can get commercial machines in both types. In most of the local places they have front loaders only in the huge sizes.

Our FD has a Dexter extractor for turnout gear. The gear makers recommend front loaders for one reason. The lack of an agitator means less possibility of damage.

Reply to
Steve W.

depends how new the installation is. not many top loaders sold in the commercial sphere any more.

that's definitely true. stuff like comforters and sleeping bags can be washed in a front loader, not top loader.

but the main reason i'm a fan of front loaders is that they do definitely clean better. i wear sports clothing regularly, and that stuff STINKS if your washer isn't up to the task. trying to mask it with scented crap is just toxic.

Reply to
jim beam

about 5 new places in the last 6-8 months. Different brands but still top loaders for the 1 - 2 baskets and front loaders in the larger sizes.

Well I can virtually guarantee the stuff we get on turnout gear is worse ;-) Had a delivery a year ago that left my gear looking like I strolled through the local slaughter house.. Took three trips through before it looked OK and another one to kill the smell. (I decided then that childbirth is now the purview of the newer folks, I've been there for 7 total. The catcher in 5 of those)

Then you add in the soot, toxic chemical, fuels, and the dirt and grime we normally deal with and that gear will turn water BLACK in a heartbeat. With all the modern junk we stuff into homes the toxicity levels are so much higher today that even with all the gear you're in real danger when they burn.

Reply to
Steve W.

ok, then either it's a kalifornistan environmental thing or those laundrymat operators are bad at math. because for the latter, if the purchase decision extends beyond initial price and accounts for operation cost, then the winner is clear - and it's not the top loader.

Reply to
jim beam