my 91 honda cut off

I turn the key and as soon as I remove my hands to change the gear and the key turn towards me the car turns off. I have to keep the key turned in order to keep it on. I can't drive like this. What may be wrong with it. I think it may be a shortage in the ignition. can someone help me with this issue....what may be wrong?

Reply to
hondagal

You can't do that without destroying the starter motor. Don't you hear it being ground to death under there?

Take the bus.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Most likely the ignition switch is bad. My 94 Del Sol did the exact same thing. Replaced the switch, and it worked great. They're not too hard to replace, but if you've never done one, I'd get help with it.

Reply to
dsguy

My guess is they are turning the key to start and as soon as they let go of the key the motor stops, is this correct? The cause may be something as simple as the ignition ballast resistor or maybe even the ignition switch.

***************** A true compassionate liberal anarchist

Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

The ignition switch in the steering column is most likely failing. Have it replaced. It should be an easy diagnosis/verification for most mechanics and a relatively low cost repair.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish