Mystery Intermittent Power Loss - 1980 Honda

Could it be the plugs? Perhaps a make and break fuel pump connection combined with a low float? Problem has been worsening over the last eighteen months and is now noticeable even a low speeds and little load. Split second engine shut downs.

I've twice had my Honda garage investigate but they've no idea where the problem lies. Dan

Reply to
dan.c.quinn

Could you be a bit more specific about your car, the problem, and when it tends to happen?

Reply to
MishaA

Cold or hot the engine rpm determines the amount of cut out, power pauses. I took careful note this evening. On a level road at 30mph in 2nd, jerky, in 3rd at same speed, smooth. Perhaps an ignition problem, not fuel supply. Dan

Reply to
dan.c.quinn

I've seen faulty plug wires come and go in a way similar to what you describe at certain RPM's. I'd try a basic ignition tune up(plugs, wires, rotor, cap), and if you have points change the points and condensor. You can usually see the spot in the wire that is bad if it is a defective ignition lead. The rubber around the bad portion of the lead will usually turn white and sometimes swell up appreciably. Another possibility is a defective ignition coil, you can put an ohm meter on it and try tapping on the coil with the plastic handle of a screwdriver a bit. If you see the meter moving around I would suggest replacing the coil.

I've worked on a couple hondas with intermittent ignitions, mostly early 90's models...in every case I just replaced the distributor with an overhauled unit and the problem was solved.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

A new coil has been installed. Dan

Reply to
dan.c.quinn

What about the ignition switch? I would try running a dedicated drop from battery positive to the coil positive to see if that resolves the problem.

Chris

Reply to
Hal