Need advise on approaching an ECU design project.

Hello All,

I'm not sure if my question is relevant to this group. If not, please guide me.

I'm interested in learning and building an engine injection control system. I have access to electronics companies who can design as per theory given.

Specifically this is what I want to do: design a lambda controller (ECU) that will function in three ways

  1. either it will control an actuator valve and thereby control fuel flow
  2. or it will control firing timing of third party injector rail valves (retrofitted after purchase of vehicle), thereby controlling fuel flow.
  3. it would also help to advance firing of third party injector rail

The inputs to the system shall be RPM, Lambda voltage from a sensor, TPS(?), Injector firing signals.

My question is how do I approach this project? Where can I find theory (specifically engine control) that will help me build this system?

The final goals are to have good vehicle mileage and the vehicle must pass the EURO III emission norms.

Any detail / expert advise would help.

Thanks Mikshah.

Reply to
mikshah

There are existing open source lambda controllers out there, intended for retrofitting into existing vehicles. The hardware is not very difficult, in fact you can just use an existing ECU from a major manufacturer, or copy one. The hard part is the software.

For the most part, the older controllers are just a single loop that goes through each time, checks the state of the inputs, increments a timer, then checks to see if the timer value matches a derived value and fires the appropriate plugs or injectors when it does. The derived values are recalculated when a crankshaft position sensor pulse is read.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Lots of good information here: