Need major tranny help

Hello,

I need some major advise regarding my 700-R4. I can't tell what year it is. There looks like there was an ID tag on the left side of the bellhousing at one time, but it is totally gone. The tranny did indeed come out of a 1990 full-size blazer, but I'm not the original owner, and with over 200K on it, there must have been some tranny work done at one point in time, and who's to say it even has the original case. The problems are stemming from what I am reading in a Haynes rebuild manual. It says on '87 and up trannys, to stack up the low-reverse clutch pack on a bench and measure the thickness of the friction plates, steel plates, waved plate, and backing-plate. The spec they give is 1.2" to 1.25", and then goes on to say something about "selective backing plates" if the specs aren't right. Number one, I measured the old and new clutch packs and they were both only about an inch. Number two, my tranny had a waved plate, but after that was just an ordinary steel, there was no other backing plate. What the Hell??? Number three, the Haynes manual says to measure the distance between the retaining ring and the clutch pack in the input housing. It gives a spec of .060 to .090. What the Hell??? I have about a .250!!! Again, this only applies to '87 and up trannys, but since I don't know the actual year, I can't be confident in moving forward with assembly. All I can say is that I have a 10-vane pump, and not the 7. I don't know what to do, and any advise would be appreciated.

Reply to
Joe Peters