New clutch slips - need help

Guys,

I just installed a brandnew kevlar clutch in my 4runner. The clutch is from southbend clutch and sports a 1600 lbs pressure plate.

Now that the clutch is in the first thing i notice is the clutch pedal is soft as butter. pressing it in feels as light as the gas pedal.

the truck rols but the clutch slips at any serious rpm.

I wonder what the problem can be? I had the flywheel ground. Could it be too thin so that the clutch doesnt engage? but still .. why is the pedal so soft?

Is there any spec about how thick the flywheel has to be before it doesnt work anymore (the 4runner wheel has a bump for the clutch disc and the outside is recessed)..

Advice appreciated

Matt

"" wrote: > Guys, > > I just installed a brandnew kevlar clutch in my 4runner. The > clutch is > from southbend clutch and sports a 1600 lbs pressure plate. > > Now that the clutch is in the first thing i notice is the > clutch pedal > is soft as butter. pressing it in feels as light as the gas > pedal. > > the truck rols but the clutch slips at any serious rpm. > > I wonder what the problem can be? I had the flywheel ground. > Could it > be too thin so that the clutch doesnt engage? but still .. why > is the > pedal so soft? > > Is there any spec about how thick the flywheel has to be > before it > doesnt work anymore (the 4runner wheel has a bump for the > clutch disc > and the outside is recessed).. > > Advice appreciated > > Matt

Did you change the clutch disc and pressure plate? Kinda sounds like a bad pressure plate? You need to remove tranny (again) and see what is going on.

Reply to
SnoMan

If they ground alot off the face then they also need to grind where the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel. Did you bleed the clutch hydralyic cylinder? Have some one look under need as you press the clutch and see how far the arm moves.

Reply to
Wolfgang