New Clutch For Super Charged/boat pulling 4-Runner Recommendation

I've got a 98 4-Runner 4WD, 3.4L TRD Supercharged motor, which I do some offroading with, but more importantly I pull a 3700 lb boat/trailer. I'm needing to replace the clutch and looking for recommendations as the stock clutch just doesn't do it with what I'm using it for. I'm interested in an Exedy Safari Tuff clutch, but havn't been able to find one on the internet. If you know where to find one, I'd appreciate a link. But also, recommendations on your own experiences would be appreciated as well on other high performance clutch kits for something similar. The thing that is probably the toughest on the clutch is when storing the boat, I have to back it up a driveway with maybe a 20% grade.

Thanks for your replys,

Ron

Shep

Yeah, I already do that, but the clutch is old and slips when I do it, and now it slips occasionally even when I'm just driving it without pulling anything, so time to replace it and wanted to beef it up a bit.

Shep

Does a 4-runner have a low range in the transfer case? this might be the ticket for launching it and backing up that steep grade.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not sure what vehicles you are talking about except maybe a old truck with a granny reverse which a 4 runner does not have else he would not be having clutch issues.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Thanks for the comments. The original clutch has 100k on it, I want to replace it, and seeking experiences/suggestions with something other than a stock OEM replacement which is all I'm really asking here. The flywheel will be replaced as well instead of having it machined. The centerforce clutch is an option I've researched a bit, but have heard exedy is better.

I'll take a look at the deeper axle gears too, but with 4WD low its definitely crawling - and I do use the emergency brake to hold it when needed. I live in Colorado, and even going over the 10,000 ft mountain passes, there is generally no problems at all with power and gearing. Its quite impressive actually.

Reply to
rr

Yes, 4WD low should give you a low enough gear to pull or push that load easily up a steep grade without stressing the clutch too much. I would not bother with lowering the overall gearing any more because you will be stuck with it at highway speeds.

100k on a clutch is about right in my experience, so I don't know if a heavy duty clutch will get you much more than added pedal pressure to deal with. If it was my car I would stick with the OEM clutch.
Reply to
John S.

I won't disagree too much... My OD or 5th is kinda useless unless I want to cruise at 80+ mph. It does still have pull at 65, but my gas mileage sucks if I use it. It lugs the engine too much. If I stay in

4th, the engine turns a nice 2300 rpm at 65 mph and I get a decent 23 mpg out of her. This is with the big 258 straight six, 2 bbl, Accel SuperCoil with everything manually tuned. (no computer running things)

Off road I normally use low range. 3rd is my normal running gear. It will climb sand pit walls and not stall out in 3rd. If I get too steep, it just sits there and chews my 33" muds in while turning 400-500 rpm. On some radical ATV climbs, I will go down to 2nd low. I very seldom ever use 1st low.

Here are some shots of the off roading area:

I ran it hard off road for the first couple years after my 'glass body build and then needed to pull the engine for some clutch linkage work so got to inspect the clutch. A buddy was by and asked how hard on clutches it was, so I said 'I don't know' and just pointed to the pile of parts and said 'have a look'. A minute later he is laughing away so I looked.... The printed label was still visible on both sides of the friction material!

I guess my gears work well for my use....

Lower gears would be nice I guess, but I can think of lots better ways to blow a grand or more....

Mike

Mike Romain

You should check out link below and look at the effect of axle ratio on traction not to mention driveline wrap up and motor mount strain. If you think you do well now off road, you will be amazed at how much better it would do in sand and such with 4.10 or 4.56's.

The SnoMan

SnoMan

4lo should be used sparely for this usage. Also I have gotten over 200K out of clutches if they are treated right so I do not agree that 100K is normal. I once pulled a engine out of a old 4x4 truck many years ago that had had a very hard life. It had a 4 speed with a true granny gear and the clutch showed little wear even after 185k of very hard usage. It would have went another 100K plus easy. Overall drive ratio for the load being "clutched" and the way it is operated has a far stronger bearing on clutch life than the odometer does.

SnoMan