New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

========

Ray O, I think the reason so many people defend Amsoil is because used oil analyis doesn't lie.

Boutique oils from companies like Amsoil and RLI consistently turn in better engine wear numbers than the big boys like ExxonMobil. In fact, Group V oils like RLI's may be the future.

Respected tribologist Terry Dyson currently recommends RLI, and he does a whole lot of testing.

So by your statement above, I hope you're not suggesting that Amsoil is alone on a limb by selling non-API-certified oils.

Again, RLI's oils are not API-certified either. And big boy Shell recently came out with a non-API-certified oil, too. ....Shell, one of the world's biggest oil companies...

By the way, Dyson Analysis also likes Pennzoil Platinum, right now, too. So it doesn't matter to oil expert Dyson whether he's looking at oils from huge giants or small companies. He picks the best, whether they're API-certified or not.

Of course, whether someone should buy a particular oil like Amsoil or RLI depends on a buyer's car's needs.

Walmart, seller of Mobil, Pennzoil, Havoline, Castrol, etc. went to Amsoil several years back, wanting to carry Amsoil on its shelves too. Amsoil was happy to provide Walmart with a private-label brand, but Walmart wanted the Amsoil brand. As a result, Amsoil turned Walmart down, worried that Walmart would hurt Amsoil's many dealers across the country.

I wish Amsoil had said yes to Walmart, because I'm sure the oil would be a lot cheaper there! [chuckle]

Reply to
Built_Well

If you are only concerned with how well oil lubricates, then choose based on what the "boutique" oil companies and oil experts recommend. If you are also concerned with making sure that your car's emissions system works properly over the long term and doesn't become compromised, then my recommendation is that you follow the advice of the folks who designed and made your car and stick to oil that meets API specifications.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, your talking to someone who's mind is already made up. He can't listen to facts, he might have to admit he's wrong! He won't thank you for giving him the facts, all he will do is attack and belittle you.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Store brand oils have usually been the same as Valvoline or Quaker State, except for Wal-mart's, so what makes them "low-end", other than price? And what makes Amsoil "high-end", other than price? CR included Mobil 1 synthetic, and I've never heard of it being considered anything but high-end.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Maybe because they found all the oils in their 1996 test to be equal in quality, unlike the case in their much more limited test done about a decade earlier with SF oils, where they simply had new and used viscosity tested. In that test, they found that some 5W-30 oils and all but one 10W-40 oil dropped too much in viscosity. At that time, GM had complained to the oil industry about deficiencies in engine oils and said that none of the 10W-40 brands they tested met their quality standards.

Why bother with oil analysis when you do engine teardown inspections? I thought that oil analysis was used as a cheaper, faster alternative to teardowns.

You mentioned that 80% of engine wear occurs at cold start-up, but a maker of electric prelubrication pumps found that an engine equipped with a prelube pump had only 30% less overall wear than an engine that didn't use one. That's a lot lower figure than what makers of miracle oil additives have given. OTOH nobody has accused that pump maker of doing a bad test or scamming people.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

All the engines in Consumer Reports' test were Chevy 3.4L V-6s. In

1996, were they built to the same tolerances as they had been built long before? If so, why did GM change its oil viscosity recommendations for them and prohibit straight 30 weight in 1996? Please, not the usual excuse about increasing the fuel economy. ;)
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Can you cite anything showing that synthetic significantly improves gas mileage? If anybody calls 1-800-ASK-MOBIL and asks if Mobil 1 synthetic improves fuel economy, they'll immediately say that it does not. Why should any other synthetics of the same viscosity range be different in this respect?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Which is amazing coming from someone who has only changed the oil himself one time in his life.

Reply to
Mark A

Significantly? No, only about 1-2% better mileage on average. For some, there is no increase in gas mileage, but if you have a late model engine that has not been abused (rings seated properly) then you will see a slight improvement.

Given that using synthetic oil is not a significant increase in cost (the TOTAL cost of a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart is $25), even a 1-2% increase in mileage will go a long way to making up the cost differential between synthetic and conventional oil given the price of gas these days.

I can never understand why some people get so upset about people spending so little money to ensure that their car performs well and lasts longer.

Reply to
Mark A

I didn't think he was belittling me, but it does appear as if his mind is made up!

Reply to
Ray O

I dispose of my used motor oil at WalMart. They take it and don't charge a fee. I buy my motor oil at Auto Zone, WalMart, NAPA or where ever the price is the best.

I have been changing my own oil for over 40 years. However, if you look at the difference between the 10 minute oil change places and the cost of 5 quarts of oil and a filter, it almost makes sense to let them do it.

The company vehicles I used to drive are done by the 10 minute oil places. Company requirements.

What makes you think I've only changed oil myself once?

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Built_Well has only changed his oil one time in life, and very recently. I think he is in his 30's or 40's. He posted in a thread for at least 6 months, asking hundreds of questions before trying it. Check out this thread title.

Reply to
Mark A

But... my car doesn't HAVE any emissions system....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

============================

Retired VIP, where have I attacked or belittled Ray O, as you say? I have not done so. I respect Ray's advice very much. Ray is a Toyota expert who has helped many, many people over the years in this group.

Once again, I'm detecting religious tension in the group. Retired VIP, I think Christians like myself and Jews like you should do the best to get along with each other, not belittle each other or snipe at one another, as you have just done towards me. And you sniped at me in an especially egregious manner.

I respect Jews as long as Jews respect Christians, and vice versa.

I also respect individuals of all sexual preferences: bi, hetero, and gay, as long as they don't snipe at each other. Retired VIP, you and Mark A. are expert snipers, and snipers are a group of folks I do not respect.

Retired VIP, you may be retired, but you still have a lot to learn, my friend.

Reply to
Built_Well

snip

You caught me. I didn't think it showed. I try so hard to fit in with all the good homos and bi's but it is so hard....But it is good to know that you consider me an expert sniper. I'm sure Mark would like to thank you as well.

hawhawhaw.

I'm a member of a Friends Meeting that believes in Christ. I think that makes me a Christian.

Next time you ask someone for advise either take it or don't but don't argue with them.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

This is not the first time that Built_Well has claimed that people who post on this newsgroup are Jews, especially people who he does not like. His comments about Jews are thinly veiled anti-Semitic rants which should be abhorred by everyone on this forum.

I think it is time for everyone to ignore this bigoted person and ignore his posts.

Reply to
Mark A

1-2% is:

a) way too little to be statistically significant in real-life driving, but maybe it can be measured that accurately with a car running on a dynomometer.

b) way too much to be true.

I can never understand why some people pay more to get nothing more, as is the case with AMsoil versus other synthetics. AMsoil is like bottled drinking water, which is worse than tap water.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I have never recommended that anyone ever use Amsoil. Never.

I would recommend Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic, and other synthetics that API approved.

Reply to
Mark A

Then you don't have to worry about any oil's effect on the emissions system ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Now that the fireworks are over, I just wanted to point out *again* that lots of Amsoil formulations contain no more than 0.08 percent of ZDDP, which is the same percentage of ZDDP found in API-certified oils.

So SMS was mistaken when he said that the Wikipedia entry on Amsoil that describes a reason why some Amsoil products are not API-certified was a "bald-faced lie" (SMS's inflammatory words).

And if you really want to stay with an API-certified oil because of some worry about the catalytic converter receiving too much phosphorous (in the ZDDP), Amsoil's XL line of oils are all API-certified. You can even see the API star symbol on the front of the XL bottles imaged on their web site.

By the way, I was mistaken when I said Walmart went to Amsoil asking to carry its products. Amsoil went to Walmart offering to provide Walmart with a private branded oil, but Walmart wanted to carry the Amsoil brand, so Amsoil had to turn Walmart down. Amsoil didn't want to hurt the sales of its nationwide network of distributors. This was about 12 years ago.

Like I said, I wish Amsoil had said yes to Walmart, because I'm sure the oil (which consistently turns up lower engine wear numbers than Mobil 1, Havoline, Castrol, etc.) would be priced a lot cheaper if it were at Walmart.

Some locally franchised chains like CarQuest, Murray's, etc., do carry Amsoil, but apparently only because select CarQuest franchisees have individually made deals with local Amsoil sellers, not with Amsoil headquarters, which has a policy of not selling to any chain of stores numbering more than 12--to protect its sellers.

I believe Royal Purple also used to be marketed and sold in much the same way as Amsoil, until Royal Purple decided to forsake its nationwide network of distributors/sellers and embrace big chains.

This was SMS's quote:

SMS wrote:

Reply to
Built_Well