new rotary engine trouble ?

My preference would be a Mazda 6 MPS with the 256bhp 2.3L turbo engine.

Reply to
Johannes

I thought they were both sports cars? Or at least sold to that market.

Reply to
mrcheerful

In that case, I have to assume you think the Lotus Exige is competing with the RX8.

Which is obviously isn't.

Reply to
SteveH

one is a stripped out two seat and one a more luxury 4 seater so, no I don't think they are competing products, but what was the equivalent of an rx8 thirty odd years ago? the nearest thing on the top gear list is the esprit, I think.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not even close. The Esprit was designed to compete with the lower end of the Porsche / Ferrari market.

I've already given the equivalent to an RX8 from 30 years ago.... stuff like the Alfa GTV and Ford Capri.

Reply to
SteveH

So 0.75l of oil every thousand miles, that won't exactly break the bank! Its supposed to do this as it meters oil into the combustion chamber to lub the seals. Its was never advertised as high mpg car either? If you can't afford the fuel, don't buy one! If you can, however you won't find a another car thats as scarily quiet and smooth even when you're caning it.

Yeah, one for the ladies.

Zimmy

Well, I don't suppose they will test either of those, but they would be slower BUT more economical and certainly cheaper to run in general, so my question stands, what real progress is there in the last thirty years?

Personally, I loved the lurid handling of the Capri 3.0 and 2.8 that I had, the Alfa I never found to be quick enough, but well balanced, I agree. Do you know anyone that needs a rebuilt, never run Alfa 1600 lump?, (from a

67 spider.)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not so true - the main reasons I can see for buying an RX8 (other than /that/ engine) has to be its practicality - the rear seats, reasonable boot and the fact that in a motorway shunt you'll be no worse off than someone in a normal, less sporty car.

It's certainly on my list of cars to own in the near future - I'm still not convinced that the apex seal thing is sorted though - want to wait until a few more have passed 100k miles.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You need a Lancia Dedra and an Alfa 164 to complete the set.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's half what my 65,000 mile Supra used ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Yes, but on that you could probably just scoop it out of the coolant reservoir and re-use it ;o)

Cheers,

Colin

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Thema, you muppet.

The Dedra is a Tipo / 155.

Reply to
SteveH

OK smartass, here is one for you. What was the name of the Lancia with Swiss cheese?

Reply to
Johannes

Someone told me once never to use synthetic oil, like Mobil,1 in a rotary engine. Any truth to this? If not, why not?

Reply to
Kruse

whatever...

Mate of mine who ran a tuning shop had a turbo dedra - went like stnk.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, you're on the right track. Name the car.

Reply to
Johannes

It was basically a Lancia Delta with a boot.

Reply to
Johannes

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I was trying to ... Prisma.

Reply to
Adrian

Nope, not the one I was thinking of.

Reply to
Johannes Andersen

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I thought he was talking about rust.

Reply to
Guy King