new rotary engine trouble ?

Wait until you see the interior - I think Mercedes were trying to make theirs look better quality by making sure the Chrysler version looked mega-cheap-and-nasty.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I know I've heard of one catastrophic failure of a Renesis on the owner's club site, but it was pretty major and clearly a manufacturing cockup. None of the US drivers have reported such failures unless they've been playing silly buggers, like trying to turbo it.

In a couple of years, RX8s are going to be everywhere used. My leasing firm just bought another 70, but they're now £50/month more than I paid for mine because the residuals are dropping, and apparently they reckon it'll drop another grand in April, so another £10-20/month.

I thought the deal I got was stupidly cheap, even with the 190s being punted out by brokers for £2-3K off list.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Man from Silkolene in 1983 said there was only one 2 stroke he knew of that had rejected use of synthectic oil. As it was at a Honda owners club night he didn't say what but it's not a Honda.

Ran my Bantam on dope and R - really odd milky white stuff when mixed.

Peter Hill

"Peter Hill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Mazda's rotary ain't no 2-stroke. As for synthetic, rumours are abound on the web, I've also read about 'o' ring shrinkage being blamed on synthetic oils. Anyway,

says:"Dino or Synthetic motor oils? That's the big question. While Mazda Corp. has officially forbid the use of synthetic motor oils in their rotary engines, Mostly Mazda strongly recommends the use of Redline synthetics products, in the motor, differential and in the transmission. The unofficial "inside story" behind Mazda's statement is quite interesting. Apparently, in the early 1980s, Mazda's racing team had lubrication problems using a certain brand name synthetic motor oil. Instead of disclosing the particular oil brand and potentially getting faced with a lawsuit, Mazda made an unfair general statement, suggesting that all synthetic oils were incompatible with their rotary engines. Redline motor oils have been successfully used in rotary race motors for nearly two decades. Their motor oils offer improved film strength over other motor oils, synthetic or non-synthetic. Synthetics also extend the life of the turbochargers by resisting bearing "coking" typically associated with traditional oils. We used Redline 10W/40 high performance motor oil for Project RX-7. At over six dollars a quart, it is hardly inexpensive. However, a good motor oil is the best insurance against premature engine wear. Evidence supports that synthetic oils may not burn as cleanly as dino oils. According to Mostly Mazda, this residue may potentially cause premature clogging of the catalytic converter over a very long period of time. This relatively minor problem is easily remedied by catalytic converter replacement. Such maintenance is far less expensive and time consuming than replacing engine or turbo damaged by insufficient lubrication."

Zimmy

Umm.... the Crossfire is built in Stuttgart. There's nothing "American" about it, which is why the POS will never stain the floor of *my* garage...

Reply to
Steve

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.thanks) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I sit corrected. Osnabruck, by Karmann.

I can think of many reasons not to have one, but "Not built by 'merkins" is unlikely to be high on the list.

Looks like I'm not alone, either.

Reply to
Adrian

A couple of questions. What constitutes an "American Car". Have you ever looked at the country of origin for components under the hood or under the dash of your "American Car".

Reply to
John S.

The message from "John S." contains these words:

Ugly, for a start. They don't have a monopoly, but they're fairly grim.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I thought we'd decided the Crossfire WASN'T 'merkin?

Reply to
Adrian

Its first on *MY* list.

Reply to
Steve

I didn't bring it up, so I'll let the OP answer that. But for me:

All major system and subsystem engineering performed within the United States, by a company with headquarters (or at least a Group headquarters, as in the case of the Chrysler Group of DaimlerChrysler) in the United States. Manufacturing and assembly performed in the US, Mexico or Canada. Company of manufacture consisting of at least 40% of one of the former "Big 4" US automakers (GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC- which itself was a union of Nash and Hudson).

But that's just me :-)

Yep. Have you? Even my 1966 was assembled in Canada of exclusively US-built components. My '69 and '73 were both built in St. Louis. My

1993 has a Japanese starter and alternator and a Japanese A/C compressor and was assembled in Canada of otherwise US-built major components. All of them were designed and engineered in Michigan.
Reply to
Steve

If we're talking about current-production cars, I fear I must agree in large measure. The whole Cadillac lineup now looks like angry window air-conditioners.

Right also. The Scion division of Toyota has the monopoly on ugly in that they don't have a SINGLE attractive vehicle. Nissan/Infiniti is giving them a run for the money, though.

Reply to
Steve

The message from Steve contains these words:

Cor - and people /like/ that?

I do wonder about car names as well. I'm sure I saw a pickup truck round here with "INTIMIDATOR" on the back. Whatever next? "Road Butcher"?

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's worse than that. I've seen several Chrysler 300Cs in the UK lately. It's worrying. They seem to be selling well.

Reply to
Adrian

But they're actually attractive, at least from some angles (they could be better, no doubt). In fact they look like a British luxury car to me. And a lot of other people apparently, since everyone compares them to a Bentley.

Reply to
Steve

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.thanks) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Can you hand the keyboard back to your guide dog, please? Unless, of course, those angles are primarily the underside.

They have the "style" of a recent Bristol, yes.

Extremely unfavourably, I'm sure.

From Chrysler.co.uk :-

"Chrysler 300c - Cars like this don't really exist, do they?"

Yes, they do. So does the Pontiac Aztek. (I apologise to all my fellow rightpondians who will now google for that)

"It boasts a confident presence on the road and is the sort of car that friends, family and even total strangers will want to quiz you about."

Even they can only describe it's looks as 'a confident presence' (about as ugly and aggressive as Mike Tyson after some bint says "Not tonight") - and the friends/family/strangers will be quizzing you OK - "What the FUCK were you THINKING?"

Reply to
Adrian

That's easily explained.

They have a V8 engine (well, the CRD doesn't make sense to me). They cost about £30K. They fit a few people and are no thirstier than my RX8 in real terms. Also, most people aren't road testers, and find the chassis suits the character of the car.

I would have a V8 300C in an instant if I had the money; slightly less if they really do bring out the 300C Estate, and possibly even quicker if they brought the 4Matic-based AWD models here.

I've looked at one in the native environment, and they're VERY nice. The interior quality is no worse than an XM; better in some regards.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Hahahaha! It's like something Mercedes would come up with after eating too much cheese late at night.

Reply to
Guy King

RichardK ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

- Bit harsh, Richard.

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's because it is. It's a W211 E-class dressed up as a filing cabinet.

May I also refer you to my reference to the Pontiac Aztek?

Sweet dreams.

Reply to
Adrian