No start motorcraft 2150

Fires up good after some pumping but will not start unless I pour some gas down the carb then it starts and runs but I must keep it at a fast idle until warm or it will stall.

Other info:

Sometimes backfires and flame activity on top of carb Choke is closed Fuel bowl is full Fuel pressure to carb is ok Coil wire spark looks strong (blue/white) Gas squirts into carb when pumped Carb has been disassembled and cleaned Problem occurred suddenly Some gas leakage around base of carb where it contacts the gasket

Is it possible the gasket(s) are leaking causing a lean condition preventing starting and when gas is poured in it seals the leaks?

Reply to
Martik

"Martik" wrote in news:bBIJg.2037$rd7.1830@edtnps89:

how do you know the fuel bowl is full?? have you taken the top off before trying to start? what you are describing is common to the leaking power valve draing the bowl. ( and it usuall will blow the valve when backfireing) KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Yes

what you are describing is common to the leaking

Reply to
Martik

"Martik" wrote in news:DFJJg.3372 $rd7.1664@edtnps89:

I don`t know then, strange behavor. I would say flooded, except pouring in gas helps. might have to think on this one a while. KB which eng exactly is it??

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Thanks

1980 ford tbird 255cu in

It finally did start today w/o pouring gas after I adjusted the choke 1/16" more open (round thing with index marks) warmed up w/o stalling then I shutoff and it restarted no problem. After cooling down for a few hours same no start problem.

Reply to
Martik

I'd start looking for a vacuum leak. I believe they're more noticable when the engine is cool..

Reply to
corning_d3

corning_d3 wrote in news:corning snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.nodomain.com:

If it is a vacuume leak, look at the vaccume cans they are known for getting leaky and no sound will be heard either. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff