Nuclear batteries.

Probably because nobody wants a power plant that is ten thousand times more expensive per watt to operate than a standard atomic power plant and can only supply enough power to a town of 100,000.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Yum. Deep fried irradiated cat under the hood!

Reply to
chuckcar

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Is this what you're talking about?

You just use alpha particle sources and there's no danger at all.

Reply to
chuckcar

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

No that's why the US doesn't *have* nuclear power now. No one wanted to pay for proper maintenance for even the cheapest reactors.

Reply to
chuckcar

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

I heard recently that some gas stations in GB are *charging* for air. Everyone shound have a cigarette light powered pump in their car anyways.

Reply to
chuckcar

"hls" wrote in news:yomdnXbdVMHI9V3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well metal structural decay by constant bombardment by nuclear particles would be the first thing to think about - after the actual generated radioactivity of the reactor. To say nothing of the design being top secret. Submarines are giant spies. Nothing about their construction is public knowledge.

Reply to
chuckcar

One time Hyman Rickover wanted to tour a nuclear powered Submarine, he wanted to check out that Submarine's nuclear power plant.The Captain of that nuclear powered Submarine refused to give him the tour. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

submarine reactors aren't cheap.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Problem is, nobody wants to pay for proper maintenance of coal or gas-fired plants either.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The reason the US doesn't have nuclear power now is Three Mile Island. The panic after that resulted a mountain of bureaucracy/red tape/expense that has stopped nuclear power in its tracks.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Grand Gulf nuclear power plant, at or near Stennis Space Center.Once in a while there is talk about adding on or building a new nuclear power plant there.I once read somewhere they spray orange juice around/on the grounds area to help keep down nuclear radiation. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing more nuclear power in our future. It's pretty much our only option for the short run. Thorium-fueled reactors seem promising. Hopefully, more research will be done in this area.

Reply to
dsi1

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C7EA32FB.1A11B% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

From actually blowing a plant up yes. No to anything else you say or imply. You can't beat the Russians at *everything* you know .

Reply to
chuckcar

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

Woosh.

Reply to
chuckcar

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news:4BBFD284.82EB84D1 @Hovnanian.com:

I like what Howland Owl once said in the old Pogo comic strip, "Nuclear physics ain't so new and it ain't so clear."

Reply to
Tegger

There is no "reason the US doesn't have nuclear power". The US has nuclear power - more than any other country.

The only way investment in nuclear power will resume is if the federal government guarantees the profits of the investors. After 3 mile island the government stopped doing that and investment in nuclear energy disappeared. If the law says that the plant owners pay for the clean up of the next 3 mile island then no money will be invested. if the law says taxpayers and rate payers pay for the clean up of the next 3 mile island lots of new plants will be built. The economics is that simple.

-jim

Reply to
jim

OK. When was the last new nuclear power plant opened? Part two: Relative to the date of the Three mile island mess, when was construction on that last plant started?

There were some plants in the works at the time of Three Mile Island and some of them went on to completion, but there has been little to no new activity since then.

This I agree with. Economics, at least for this sort of thing, really is that simple.

Reply to
E. Meyer

France has more per capita.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Three mile island had an effect, but not what you claimed and your statement that the US has no nuclear power is pretty far from reality. The US is generating more electricity from nuclear reactors than any other country.

That is right. Nuclear energy has and always will be government welfare program. If the taxpayers and rate payers assume all the financial risks then there is no problem getting plants built. Three mile island put an end to the government guaranteed financing. You want to bring the welfare back.

If you want the government to get involved in energy management that does some real good then Tax the piss out of oil.

-jim

Reply to
jim

On the web, How many nuclear power plants are there in America?

More than a few, something like 103 of them are in America. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin