U.S.seeks 16.4 million fine against Toyota

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum (7035
fed govt, Always got their mitts in everybodys pockets! cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in

That's ok, I'm sure Toyota will get their money back - and more the same way eventually.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

That really isnt a lot of money in the greater scheme of things. Now, whether anything at all is justified is another question.
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:05:48 -0500, hls wrote:

Add to that all the Class Action Lawsuits that will prop up (that will pay the lawyers ~$23M, the pricnipals ~$4M, and everyone else gets a coupon for an oil change...)

Were you complaining about these sorts of lawsuits when GM had to pay out millions as a result of the side saddle gas tank Class Action Lawsuits? There was never any statistical evidence to back up the claim that those tanks were more dangerous than frame mounted tanks, yet GM still had to pay million in civil judgements (like you say, millions to lawyers and discount coupons to truck owners - a CROCK).
Ed
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:46:37 -0400, C. E. White wrote:

But, they had it on TV showing one of those tanks blowing up!!!

You mean after they spread around some gas and used model rocket engines to get it buring?
Didn't ABC claim the Toyota were running away becasue of the electronics?
Don't trust TV news shows!
Ed
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:49:50 -0400, C. E. White wrote:

Yeah. Truth in reporting. "We may have dramatized it a little bit..."

My snail mail May 2010 Motor Trend magazine has an article about Hyundai Sonata cars.On the front cover it says, America's Next Best Seller? Hyundai Sonata.It's Fast, Good Looking, And Loaded.What's Not To Love? cuhulin
On 4/8/2010 2:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I bought a used 2006 Sonata and it's a very nice car. For most people, Hyundai isn't on their radar as far as a new or used car purchase. My guess is that will change. The car has made a believer out of me.
The interior feels a lot bigger than my old 99 Camry and the fit and finish of this made in Montgomery Alabama vehicle looks to be very good. My impression is that it's a heavy, solid car. The DHOC 3.3L V6 with variable valve timing is a bit intimidating maintenance-wise but it's a powerful, smooth engine capable of 0 to 60 times of under 8 seconds.
I just wanted a comfortable family sedan but this car is really more than I have a right to expect i.e., stability control, 6 airbags, heated seats, automatic temperature control, non-strut suspension, alloy wheels with Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires, power everything. Heck, there's even a compass on the mirror with 3 buttons, the function of which, I haven't a clue.
There's no telling what my experience with this car will be in the future but right now, I'm looking like the smartest car buyer around.

The button are probably for Homelink - essentially a built in garage door opener. I am sure the instructions are in your manual or at https://secure.homelink.com/programming/programming.taf .
Ed
On 4/9/2010 1:38 AM, C. E. White wrote:

Thanks for the info. I was told that this was probably a garage door opener. The puzzling part was the 2 other buttons. It looks like a good idea although I'll probably never have any use for it.

I had it on one vehicle, never used it...but then I didn't have a garage door.
Ed
On 4/9/10 11:40 AM, in article eMIvn.26419$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.iad, "dsi1"

The other two buttons turn on/off the automatic nighttime dimmer and set the compass zone.
On 4/9/2010 11:04 AM, E. Meyer wrote:

You're absolutely right about this - thanks!
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:33:40 -0500, cuhulin wrote:

Could be. I wouldn't mind having a copy of the sport coupe, but $36,000 for a Hyundai?

Why not? People pay that much for a thinly disquised Camry all the time...
The starting price on the Genesis Coupe is only $22,000. The top of the line model starts out at $30,500. I added everything I could and only got the MSRP to $33,205 (including freight, but not taxes and tags).
I was going to compare prices to a Solara...and then found Toyota quit selling them. When did that happen?
Ed

NHTSA should fine itself. I am sure Toyota had a unintended acceleration problem and I am sure Toyota worked to minimize the NHTSA response to the complaints of unintended acceleration, BUT NHTSA had tons of complaints and was warned by State Farm Insurance that there was a problem. NHTSA decided to accept a half-baked Toyota explanation and let things slide. Only after the press jumped on Toyota did NHTSA go into ass covering mode and try to pretend they were shocked that there was a problem.
If NHTSA had done it's job in 2007, there would have been no media feeding frenzy over Toyota UA this year.
Ed
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 16:26:25 -0400, C. E. White wrote:

They need the money to shore up Government Motors.