Nuclear batteries.

jim wrote in news:iZudncdR6rQbc1jWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Not per capita. Not even close. Any other measure of it is pointless and nothing more than misleading.

Reply to
chuckcar

The U.S. is a big country. Total capacity is a worthless metric. Per capita is a far more useful figure.

The U.S. gets 19.7% from nuclear. France 76%.

Even bulgaria gets more from nuclear than the U.S, as a percentage.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That's silly. Saying the US has no nuclear power is misleading. Saying that the US produces the most nuclear power in the world is simply a fact.

-jim

Reply to
jim

The attributions are getting messed up here. I was responding to chuckcar's response to AZNomad where he stated:

-> AZ Nomad wrote

-> Probably because nobody wants a power plant that is ten thousand

-> times more expensive per watt to operate than a standard atomic power

-> plant and can only supply enough power to a town of 100,000.

- No that's why the US doesn't *have* nuclear power now. No one wanted to

- pay for proper maintenance for even the cheapest reactors.

- -
Reply to
E. Meyer

Ok, to be fair, everybody who said the US has no nuclear power was also incorrect..

My assessment of the economics was that the only way there ever will be new nuclear power plants built is if Washington brings the government guarantees that got the plants that are operating now built. There has never been a single nuclear power plant built anywhere in the world where the investors are expected to take the financial risk associated with a failure like 3 mile island. That is the simple reason no plants have been built in the last 30 years and it is unlikely that there ever will be any built until the government goes back to the system of picking up the tab when something goes wrong.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Also the most coal, most CO2, most religious fanatics, most bat shit. Host idiots who can't tell a telephone from a house cat. Who cares? Most isn't a useful statatistic when you are making uneven comparisons.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

So you have advanced to super silly.

Here is a test:

A) The US has no nuclear power. B) The US has the most nuclear power. C) Host idiots who can't tell a telephone from a house cat.

Which statement is False. Which is True? Which one is deranged babbling?

Reply to
jim

I think the case needs to be made that it is properly the government's responsibility to maintain and regulate infrastructure, be it transportation, power, water, communications, whatever. How it goes about it, through outsourcing, tax incentives, immunity, public works, etc., is a matter for the politicians and voters and whatever method is chosen does not relieve it of the responsibility to make sure the necessary infrastructure is in place and working. Not so much a case of welfare as it is a case of government doing its job.

Reply to
E. Meyer

All the service stations in this region of Texas charge for air. I have not seen a station with free air in a long long time. And it IS expensive, considering the amount of air you get...$0.50-0.75 for a minute or so.

The cigarette lighter powered air pump can be worth its weight in gold.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:EeidnSAyDpMhWFrWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Figures. With all the transportation costs for oil they have from the Gulf Of Mexico to the Texas refineries to the pumps. It's a wonder they can make a profit at all.

Reply to
chuckcar

Some of those off roader people, they install an air compressor under the hood of their off road vehicles, for airing up tires/whatever.Usually it is a belt driven air compressor via the engine. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

One would think that the cigarette lighter pumps would be sufficient - if taking a long time due to tire size. They *are* lower pressure right?

Reply to
chuckcar

Uranium is so Last Century - Enter Thorium, the New Green Nuke.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

ROFL. Replace the natural world with the unnatural world. Thorium doesn't exist in nature.

Reply to
chuckcar

jim wrote in news:W7-dnbFR6M2WoFvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Yes, that was *you* AFAIK. Misunderstanding my post.

Your reply:

To a post where I talk about per capita usage and never mention

*anything* about lack or amount of US nuclear power. Nor did Mr. Meyer ever state such.

If you can give me a message ID showing someone else stating the US has no nuclear power is this thread who you replied to, I of course will retract the above.

Reply to
chuckcar

Sorry, you must be thinking of one of the other popular radionuclides. Thorium is very popular in nature; it's a big component of some of the Florida sands. Handy for making gas mantles, vacuum tube filaments, etc.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:hqg9ct$poj$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

The word is element. Plutonium is one that doesn't exist outside of being created by nuclear physics. Nothing after Uranium occurs naturally. I was mistaken about the element number. U is 92 and Th is

90.
Reply to
chuckcar

I never responded to a post of yours or said anything at all about you, Anything you perceive to be a misunderstanding must due to be something you hallucinated.

Mr Meyer claimed the US had no nuclear power. He seemed to later claim he was just echoing what someone else had already said as if that made it somehow correct.

There are plenty of basic NNTP newsreaders available. Get one and try to follow along.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Mr. Meyer did NOT claim there US had no nuclear power. As usual you clip the actual thread, state a complete untruth, then start throwing around BS.

I copied the actual thread into my comments including my response, yet you insist on picking a comment out of context and running with it. As this is just one of many threads where you've done this, I can only conclude that you are a troll.

Reply to
E. Meyer

This was the the entire content of the statement you made to which I responded:

[quote]

The reason the US doesn't have nuclear power now is Three Mile Island. The panic after that resulted a mountain of bureaucracy/red tape/expense that has stopped nuclear power in its tracks.

[end quote]

I responded that the US has more nuclear power than any other country.

I read the entire thread. Anyone else can too.

Are you requesting that, in the future, you be allowed to make false statements without contradiction?

-jim

Reply to
jim