O2 sensor, I did something stupid..

Hi Folks, I was installing new Oxygen sensors earlier today. I got interrupted and installed them with the protective plastic caps still on,duh. I didn't even realize my mistake until I pulled out to test drive. I got a block from my house and the engine stumbled. I thought it was just because it was cold, but it never did that before. It took a couple more blocks before it dawned on me going over it in my head, I'd left the protective plastic caps on. At that point wtf, I'll drive around and burn 'em off not much choice at that point. Plastic is a hydrocarbon after all. I'd guess it would just burn off, I hoped. It seemed to do just that. After less than a couple miles, she was running well. Can any experts out there tell me if I have destroyed the sensors. Can I test them somehow? Do I need to? I know certain silicates in coolant and some silicone sealers kill O2 sensors but I wouldn't think that hydrocarbon plastic would do so. I would think it would burn right off and not hurt the catalytic converters either. Any techs out there with a minor in chem,:>). A little info would help assuage my guilt over this,Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic

I don't think that is even physically possible.

I have just replaced the O2 sensors on a car and the plastic cover covers and protects both the sensor and the threads, so it is physically impossible to install these sensors with the cap on.

So unless your caps are very different from the ones Bosch uses on their sensors, you did not leave the caps on.

The problem is probably that the ECU is adapting to the new sensors which will take a while. It would probably be quicker if you can clear the adaptive memory, possibly by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Thomas, You were quite correct. The car ran poorly due to the fact I had forgotten to plug the connection in that heats the sensors. The protection caps I found in my pants pocket this morning. The were indeed Bosch and could not have been left on. Funny how one's mind get carried away and makes incorrect assumptions. Good thing I'm not a detective ;>).Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic

How did you manage that? The two heater wires are usually an integral part of the 3- or 4-wire plug, along with signal and ground, and are not normally removed, unless you took the plug apart or bought some "universal" sensors that needed to be soldered to the old plug.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

"MasterBlaster"

Reply to