OBDII non-compliant

I have a 1994 Pontiac Bonneville that is non-ODBII compliant but has a J1962 DLC plug underneat the steering column. The code reader displays LINK ERROR when I try to read the error codes. These are the pinouts on the type A connector:

(4) black (5) black with white stripe (8) black with white stripe (9) brown (14) green (16) orange

all other contacts are unpopulated.

Does anyone know how I can read the codes with this configuration? Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
Jon G.

This was the year of OBD 1.5 where

(4) ground (5) ground (9) data stream (16) battery voltage

on the 16-pin J1962 trapezoidal connector adapted from the 16-pin DB15RA rectangular connector (pinouts are the same).

That is, I guess what I need is an OBDI code reader such as,

with an adapter that goes from J1962 to DB15RA (16-pin trapezoidal to 16-pin rectangular) such as,
Then I am supposing I can read the OBD codes.

Reply to
Jon G.

Reply to
Jon G.