off-brand "K&N" reusuable filters

Hey all--

Is there any appreciable difference in airflow or, more importantly, filtering quality from actual K&N filters or the generic eBay cone filter?

Thanks

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Considering the risk of engine damage I certainly wouldn't risk using a no-name filter to try to save what amounts to a piddly amount of money vs. the cost of the car. Some folks say the K&N filters already represent too much risk due to their lower filtration. Remember, if it flows higher CFM / lower restriction and isn't physically larger then it's most likely filtering a lot less.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I would be a lot more concerned about filtration than airflow.

Reply to
John S.

Who buys on price alone except the govt.?

I can see somebody buying on price alone maybe twice in a row while they're young and stupid, but who keeps that practice? Somebody who thinks 25 cent spark plugs are so wonderfull that it's reasonable to replace them weekly and that getting stranded isn't any bother at all? Somebody who is 40 years old and doing their first oil change?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I wouldnt even fiddlefart around with K&N, much less buy some knockoff crappo filter.

Reply to
<HLS

I used generic brand filters a couple of years ago and after about a month the filter media had started to fall apart, there were some rather large holes in both of them. In this case it seems, you really do get what you pay for.

Reply to
a9x5l