Offboard hybridization

with respect, simply reducing load does not remove the fundamental design issue with leaf springs - there is no lateral triangulation and thus no lateral rigidity. simply reducing load just makes the problem smaller, it doesn't make it go away.

by way of contrast, we've managed to [slowly] pull our heads out of the sand on engine technology - we no longer have manual ignition timing controls on our steering wheels for example. we need to pull ourselves out of the 19th century and abandon what is in reality horse-cart suspension for our motorized carriages. unless we want to continue to drive at horse-cart speeds and with horse-cart loads.

Reply to
jim beam

no. and i didn't decide to demonstrate my low i.q. either.

Reply to
jim beam

you need to travel the world and see other designs up close my friend. and so do your engineering professors if what you say is actually true.

even if you don't care to travel, you could borrow a non-usa automotive design book from a library and glimpse how the rest of the world managed to figure this stuff out without the help of our esteemed education system,

the "bosch automotive handbook" is a simplistic, but good place to start.

"to the man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Reply to
jim beam

couldn't agree more. traditional electric brakes and their controllers make a mockery of this scenario. hydraulic brakes are fully load modulated by definition. other than something that's controlled by the towing vehicle's own braking circuits, it's by far the best solution.

Reply to
jim beam

And remove weight from the front axle? Perhaps? Regardless - a trailer weighing more than half theweight of the towing vehicle - without brakes, is NOT RECOMMENDED, and in many places is ILLEGAL.

In MOST cases, in an emergency braking situation, the unbraked trailer LIGHTENS the rear of the car, because as the rear end comes up, the trailer gets UNDER the hitch - regardless of the weight bias, and tries to push the hitch forward from below.

Reply to
clare

"without brakes" being the magic words.

Reply to
jim beam

Don't be hard on yourself. You seem to be smarter than you try to appear with the claim that a cheap ass passenger car that detroit bean counters worked tirelessly on could ever match the sophistication and all weather performance of a quarter million "nearly everything is heated" rig delivering a trailerful of diapers to the frigid parts of the canada.

I have no problem with an idea of a $40k+ diesel. But I hardly doubt FHI could build a sub $30k one with the corner cases (frigid weather) handled properly.

Reply to
AD

rather than baselessly speculate from in front of a tv that drip-drip-drip's you anti-diesel propaganda because it's in the interests of the controlling oligarchy to keep selling you inefficient vehicles that consume way more fuel than necessary, buy yourself a plane ticket and go to sweden, norway, finland, russia, or any other frigid country where they actually run diesels in the winter. there you will see all kinds of cheap diesel cars making mockery of our propaganda.

there are other reasons to go to these countries as well, but that's beyond the scope of this newsgroup.

Reply to
jim beam

Yes, some diesels here run fine most of the time. But they are not without a problems. They *do* get stuck when it;'s below -25C (around -10F I'd guess) and primarily because the cheapasses who don't want to pay for gas neglected the maintenance as well. Of course starting a gas engine at -25C takes a toll on a gas engine as well.

Another reason diesels are bought here is because some folk at the public transit, etc have a side "business" selling the diesel that belongs to their employer to the above mentioned cheapskates.

I'd have no problem buying a diesel as a second car in the family for long demiseason trips, having a gasoline fallback for a harsh winter month. If I had the money that is. That and needing to take long trips often.

And, then, there are folks who install gas equipment turning the car into a bomb on wheels: luckily, they have to repay their savings at the technical inspection time.

If you want to run the car on the same fuel that heats your home and forego spare tire and half of the trunk then by all means you can join them.

Reply to
AD

apart from working on diesels professionally, i've owned diesels, and one thing i definitely dislike about them is the fueling process. if you get it on your hands, the stink stays for ages.

and in the old days of mechanical pumps and glow plugs, they were clattery, noisy, and yes, sometimes hard to start. but modern electronically controlled common rail direct injection diesels are a whole different matter. fast, torquey, quiet, reliable, economical... they're just awesome. really, oiligopilies aside, it's hard to comprehend why we don't all use them.

Reply to
jim beam

I take it that you drive 500+ newton-meters monster of an engine in bmw 335d as opposed to doing a 105 hp euro diesel penance in vw

that engine would be awful in the most areas in the states in anything heavier than rabbit/golf given that 2.0 liter 4 pot is considered "low displacement"

to clarify the context: are you residing in a snow or a sunbelt state and what is the minimum temperature you are seeing in winter.

Reply to
AD