Oil Pressure Gauge and Engine death

Gosh...is he dense?

Reply to
<HLS

Cutting open the old oil filter to look for metal is a great way to check the engine internals. You need to buy a cutter with blade wheels because a hacksaw or similar will obviously make so much metal debris as to render the inspection useless.

Don

Reply to
Don

Not really. I just hacksawed a filter open last weekend as I changed the oil for the first time since I got my '55 coupe running. The metal chips from the cutting operation were localized to the bottom of the filter where I cut, so I just looked at the other end of the media.

That said, I am thinking of buying a cutter, just because it's a PITA to hacksaw through an oily round metal thing. I have a replaceable-cartridge type filter on my other older car so that one is easy to inspect, I just cut the cartridge open with a knife.

nate

(didn't notice anything unusual, other than a mess of nasty black sludginess, which I expected...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel