Old tires unsafe?

I have 9.5 year old Yokohama 195 HR60/15 Avid H4's with approx 40% front 60% rear tread left. There is a significant shimmy at approx 30-50 mph which is not noticable until the tires have been driven for 2-3 miles. Dealer refuses to balance them as he says they are too old and dried out and could separate at any time and the shimmy is caused by shifting belts. Does this make sense or is he just trying to sell me new tires?

Reply to
Martik

IMO, he could be tellin you the straight truth.. Ten year old tires have suffered some deterioration.

He does not want the liability. Do you? Is it worth your life, or your wifes', or your child's???

I dont play games with tires or brakes.

Reply to
<HLS

If your tires are 9.5 years old, and you are having any issues at all with them, I'd replace them. I think most tire mfgrs. actually recommend replacement about the 6 year mark or so regardless of mileage. If nothing else the rubber is probably getting fairly hard.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks all, I'll replace them. I thought treadwear was the only issue but I was wrong:

Martik

They can develop sidewall cracks, Martin, with time. Some people call it dry rot.

I think you could store tires safely for 10 years IF you sealed them in plastic bags filled with nitrogen, and kept them cool and away from light.

Otherwise, they are likely to be risky.

Reply to
<HLS

Oxygen reacts with the tire making it brittle. Brittle tires separate and fail catastrophically. IMO, 9.5 yr old tires should be thrown out.

Reply to
« Paul »

It makes sense, but without seeing the tires nobody can know for sure.

If the belts are shifting, you can balance the tires, but they won't stay balanced. And they're also apt to tear themselves up on the highway too.

If it were me, I'd replace them if there is any sign at all of any dry rot or even cracking, but then I am paranoid.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I have actually heard of people *racing* on old tires that have been dusted with talc, wrapped, and stored in a cool place. IIRC it was a certain model of tire specifically developed for salt-flats racing and no longer produced? So it can be done, BUT it would make me rather nervous.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel