New tires

I just took my outback 2000 in for a recall. They dixed the recall problem, and told me that I need 4 new tires. They are right...mine look pretty sad. I would like to get good ones, but know next to nothing about tires. Can anyone recommend some very good tires for my 2000 Outback? I think the front end needs realignment too. Should I do that before or after I get new tires??? Many thanks.

Reply to
KAYbear2

Regarding the type of tires- It depends what kind of driving you do and what your preferences are (handling, soft ride, quiet tires, weather and road conditions...) Get the alignment at the same time you get the tires.

Reply to
Alan

You should get tires that are HR rated, just like the oem tires that came on your car.

HR rattings are usually a really high performance sort of thing. but the subie awd needs the extra sidewall strength the HR provides to give you the consistent handling you are used to.

I did not buy HR, I went for $$. Costco wouldn't sell me anything BUT HR, which had to be ordered, so I went to Sam's and bought some goodrich at half the price. they work, but I can feel the difference in corners. and I wish i had had my conversation with the subie Master Mechanic before i bought them.

FWIW

Reply to
mac

Alignment should be done WHEN you get new tires, IF it needs it. The wear pattern on your old ones should tell you if it is needed or not. Don't change it if the wear pattern has been even and true. I just put Kumho 717 tires on our two 99Foresters. My wife and I are both very impressed with the smooth, reasonably quiet ride and excellent grip, but of course new tires ALWAYS feel better than old ones that have lost most of their tread life. These were highly rated in user reviews at Tirerack.com and got better ratings for treadwear, snow and wet traction, etc. than the Yokohama tires in same category. I used two different sets of Yokohamas before these, the stock Geolanders and then an "S305" tire that was similar to the Avid tires. The S305 tires were good while they lasted, which was over 45,000 miles when we tossed them, and they would have gone another 10 easily for many folks, but we knew they didn't hold the road as well anymore, especially in the wet, and with snow coming on, we had to have new ones. I have decided at this point that from now on, I will gladly get rid of tires when they are about 60-70% used, rather than wait for them to be fully worn to minimum specs. That last 1/3 of their wearable life doesn't give you much traction and safety. By the way, these are the first Kumho tires I've tried, and I had to read a lot to be convinced enough to try them. I usually want a top brand tire, but the prices on these are so ridiculous now that I decided to gamble on a "lesser" name at a cost savings of close to 40%. I have not been disappointed (but have less than 1000 miles on them yet, so time will tell.) I ordered these through my local dealer at only a small increase over what Tirerack.com would have cost me. He is worth that premium because he can be trusted to treat me right.

Reply to
D H