Olds Ciera V6 3.8: engine dies intermittenly, any idea why ?

All,

I am having a problem with my 1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera V6 3.8L. The car has been reliable and never leave me stranded. It has 190000 miles. Lately the engine sometime would die suddenly. Sometime when I am driving, sometime in just idling in the stoplight. Wait for a few minutes, the car will start just fine like nothing happen. I suspected the ignition control. I took it to Autozone, they tested it, and it was bad. So it was replaced. However, it did not fixed my problem. Anyone has any idea what else is wrong ? Any comments is highly appreciated.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris

I borrowed my friend's 87 Cutlass Ciera once for a month or so, and it did the same thing.. Just died whenever it wanted to.. Turned out that it was the ECM. You might try to find a junkyard one and see if that solves your problems.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Among other things, the mass air sensor is worth checking. Had an 87 Pontiac 3.8 with the same problem: if the mass air sensor was non-functional when the car was started, it started open-loop and ran, but if it went non-functional while the engine was running, the engine would die when it went to idle. Then it restarted immediately while the sensor was still non-functional. Took a lot of checking to find.

Reply to
Christopher Green

You can test CG's theory: while idling, use a small pocket knife, closed, and tap flatly several times on the mass air flow sensor. If bad, it will begin idling rough & likely stall the engine. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Update on my Olds condition: I took the second ignition module to Autozone. They tested, it was bad. So the second one is installed in my car right now. It still dies. I think it get worst because I can not start the car this morning (cold engine) after being parked overnight.

I am going to try to see if Autozone can test MAF. Does anyone know how to get a code out of this car ? I heard you can "short" two terminals under the dash and see if the engine light gives any code. I tried this morning, but the light is not blinking. Maybe I am doing it wrong ?

Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris

Update: I think I am going to take my car to a GM delear. I could not figure out what is going on. I managed to get the code, but nothing is stored, so not sure what is wrong. I do not think it is MAF since if it is MAF, it will give an error code, right ? Anyway, unless someone can give me any idea, it will go to a dealer. I hope it is not too expensive....

Right now the car is totally weird, sometimes it can not start on cold engine, sometimes it can be driven for 15-30 min without any problem. But once it stop working, it can not get started again for a while.

Thanks for everyone who had left messages. Chris

Reply to
chris