Warm Engine Dies Suddenly

I have a 1992 Nissan Maxima SE. 120K miles. New battery. Spark Plugs replaced at 90K, Nissan OEM. Fuel filter replaced at 115K, Nissan OEM.

The car is giving the following problems:

  1. If I do not slow down on a bump, the car dies ? engine shuts down even though the engine is hot.
  2. I am driving on a street, engine is hot, engine suddenly dies, I do not stop the car, engine comes back within 5 seconds.
  3. I am driving on a street, engine is hot, engine suddenly dies. I started it again, then it dies a minute later. I tried to start it again, no cranking at all, key just turns in the ignition. But after a minute it started and kept running fine.

When the car dies, I do hear faint clicks from the area under the dash (near the left knee of driver). This is the area which has fuses and some relays. I have checked all the fuses, they are fine.

I have never replaced the spark plugs wire set. Could this be a "current not flowing" problem? Could this be a fuel line or EFI problem?

All comments / suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Hawk.

Reply to
Indiana

[snip]

My guess would be a bad battery ground cable or engine-block ground connection that gets shaken loose when you go over a bump. The engine block ground connection is usually a piece of flat braided copper wire. Try wiggling all of those you can find when the engine is warm and idling. Watch out for the moving parts!!

-- Mike

--------------------------------------------------------- SeekEasy - the shareware "fuzzy-match" text-finder. If the text is on your hard drive, SeekEasy can find it. Download from:

mrogara