Warm Engine suddenly dies

I have a 1992 Nissan Maxima SE. 120K miles. New battery. Spark Plugs replaced at 90K, Nissan OEM. Fuel filter replaced at 115K, Nissan OEM.

The car is giving the following problems:

  1. If I do not slow down on a bump, the car dies ? engine shuts down even though the engine is hot.
  2. I am driving on a street, engine is hot, engine suddenly dies, I do not stop the car, engine comes back within 5 seconds.
  3. I am driving on a street, engine is hot, engine suddenly dies. I started it again, then it dies a minute later. I tried to start it again, no cranking at all, key just turns in the ignition. But after a minute it started and kept running fine.

When the car dies, I do hear faint clicks from the area under the dash (near the left knee of driver). This is the area which has fuses and some relays. I have checked all the fuses, they are fine.

I have never replaced the spark plugs wire set. Could this be a "current not flowing" problem? Could this be a fuel line or EFI problem?

All comments / suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Hawk.

Reply to
Indiana

Mike Walsh

Check out those plastic slide connectors at the positive battery post. If you can unplug them you'll most likely find that they're all rusted and half melted. Unbolt the positive terminal from the battery and cut it off. Also cut the connectors off of those fuse links where they plug into the block on the terminal. Replace the terminal with one of those everyday universal top post replacements and connect the fuse links to it with 1/4" eyes. Sometimes it's necessary to extend the fuse links a couple of inches so they will reach. Almost every Nissan that's come into my shop with an intermittent electrical problem has been caused by those two fuse link connections. Be sure you get everything good and tight.

get to near the computer, fuse block, ignition module, etc.

Reply to
Carfixer