On FWD, how easily should a front hub turn?

On FWD, how easily should a front hub turn?

I'm not sure hub is the right word. The 2000 Toyota Camry Solara as front wheel drive, and I'm chaning the right half-axle.

I have the axle out and the part** that immediately surrounds the end of the axle -- I think it has the lug studs in it -- turns when I push on a stud, and it turns smoothlly, no clicks, no variations in resistance, no inconsistent noises.

But I expected it to turn like the blades on a table fan. When the fan is off if you flick it with your finger, it will spin around 5 times or so before stopping.

This car part stops immediately. Is it damaged inside?

Thanks.

**It has splines on the inside, that mate with the splines on the outside of the axle shaft, near the end of the axle shaft.
Reply to
micky

It can't turn like a fan. There are two bearings inside running in grease plus a seal on each side. The hub should turn smooth with no noise or roughness. Sounds like yours is OK.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks. I rotated it much more by hand and still sounded smooth.

Then I reassembled the car, minus a couple little things I've yet to do, and drove it back 10 feet and up 10 feet, and it seemed just fine.

I didn't mention that when the RF hub was just lying on the ground, after the tow truck delivered it to my home, I started the engine, shifted into R with my foot on the brake, and then tried to shift into P again. The car jingled like a sleigh. I thought "Oh, no. Maybe I broke the transmission." But then I thought, well, since the right drive shaft is broken, putting my foot on the brake does nothing to stop internal transmission parts from turning, so it's like shifting into Park while the car is moving**. So maybe when it's all put back together, it won't jingle.

And indeed it doesn't.

I know, the transmission might still be damaged. 10 feet at 2mph is not an adequate test. I'm busy for a few days, but I'll work on it soon.

** (except for the Park pawl, which does not have to engage a moving flywheel)
Reply to
micky