2000 outback front hub

Hi all, I just replaced my front left half shaft, and noticed when I removed the half shaft, that the hub was loose. I don't have a manual, but I was wondering if the front hub is supposed to be loose. I can push it back in, like the axle nut was pulling it back, and it seems to seat in the bearing fine, and rotates fairly smoothly. I am getting noise out of the front end, and plan on replacing the bearings, but just curious about the hub.

Thanks Bret

Reply to
Praxis

If that nut is loose, it can cause the front end to make all kinds of bad noises. It should not be run loose. As I remember the manual said to tighten it just past snug and put the cotter pin in. I think I'd tighten it real tight and then back it off and tighten just past snug to be sure it was seated all the way down. Your noises may disappear if you tighten this up properly.

I would grease the bearings instead of replacing them. Even sealed bearings are easy to grease. Just pry off the rubber side with something not too sharp and expose the ball bearings. Put some grease on the balls in there and snap the plastic side back on. I do this to even new bearings as I don't think most come with much grease in them. Bearings are tough and rarely should need to be replaced.

Reply to
Bob Noble

I actually think I may have over tightened the nut a bit. I am going to pull it apart tomorrow, grease the bearing and see how it goes. It did seem to operate smoothly by hand when I pushed the hub in and spun it. Thanks for the quick responses. Bret

Reply to
Praxis