OT: front plates

NYS requires front and rear plates. Lately, I've been noticing a lot of cars with the front one missing. ('A lot' as in I see them every
day, and I'm not on the road very much.) Most are mid-range cars, not junkers or vintage. From the condition of the cars, I wouldn't think they've fallen off; and, I don't see a corresponding number of missing rear plates.
So, I wonder if something is going on - maybe ppl running two cars on one set of plates, or ppl stealing plates and using them to run unregistered vehicles, or ... ???
(It's not out-of-state vehicles, because I check the rear plate when I see a missing front one. It could be I should get a hobby.)
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 1:45:40 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

We require both in Md. too. I do see some of the higher end cars without them. Upon looking at the front of their cars I don't see a place for a plate, and they probably don't want to drill any holes in the car.

It could be that there's no place to hang a front plate on a car. It was easy as pie on old cars - not so these days.
dsi1 wrote:

Doesn't matter though. You are still responsible for having the plate mounted.
It's getting a LOT harder for folks to run two vehicles on a plate or run without them. Many police vehicles now run cameras with instant checking gear. Those systems take a picture of the plate, OCR it and run it without any human intervention. If something is wrong it pops up on the screen.
These days a LOT more information is linked as well. Inspection status, insurance status, registration and owners information are all linked. If any of the above are flagged they pop up.
--
Steve W.

Not necessarily everywhere. In Nevada, you were required to have a front plate only if the car came with a front bracket, or some other means to mount the plate. So if the dealer didn't install the bracket, you didn't need a front plate. I believe that is still the law. I've been her 25 years, and have never had a front plate, have never been stopped for it, and have never had it mentioned when I was stopped for something else.
On 8/2/2015 6:06 PM, Bill Vanek wrote:

I don't see much need for a plate on the front - who the heck looks at front plates anyway?
My guess is that we'll be using rfids to identify cars in the future. All car movements will be tracked and a person will be able to query a car id with a phone app. :)
dsi1 wrote: "- show quoted text - I don't see much need for a plate on the front - who the heck looks at front plates anyway?
My guess is that we'll be using rfids to identify cars in the future. All car movements will be tracked and a person will be able to query a car id with a phone app. :) "
Over the past 5 years, I've been the most-warned and pulled over pastie when it came to my front vanity plate - just a dealer logo from where I bought the car.
I used to tell the officer that in my state those who started driving before 1987 were exempt from needing a front tag, but the last time - a verbal warning - I was told that no longer stood.
So I dug up my second plate a few months ago and installed it to stop the hassling by state and local police.
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 12:08:12 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No front plates in this State. Except for Vanity plates that some people put on their cars and trucks.

For years Arizona had both front and rear. Then they got rid of requiring front. Then the required it again. Then they got rid of it again about 10 or 15 years ago. As expected, the last time when they got rid of it the usual safety Nazi's and PD all came out of the woodwork to cry and moan about how the lack of a front plate was going to be the end of the world, auto thefts would skyrocket, Police would be unable to solve crimes, children would be born blind. None of that happened needless to say.
JR:
Texas?

Obviously, you are a smart and pragmatic sort. There's no point in giving the cops any excuse to pull you over and hassle you or pull you out of you car and start beating you - or worse. You best bet is to not be black. I find that helps a lot!
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 6:40:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

A week or so ago I read somewhere a certain city (I don't remember which city or state) doesn't want people with rear plates to have their vehicles backed onto the driveways.
On 8/22/2015 5:26 PM, JR wrote:

That town must be filled with criminals. Stay away from that town! ;)
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 11:29:56 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

The City I live in is full of them too. Matt Dillon, Get out of Dodge!!!
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 3:59:08 AM UTC-10, JR wrote:

It's also a good idea to stay away from towns with nutty sheriffs. Or is it? ;)
dsi1 wrote: "- show quoted text - Obviously, you are a smart and pragmatic sort. There's no point in giving the cops any excuse to pull you over and hassle you or pull you out of you car and start beating you - or worse. You best bet is to not be black. I find that helps a lot! "
I just said I was the most pulled-over pastey I know. What does that make me?
On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 2:52:03 PM UTC-10, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I might have seen you a couple of weeks ago. Are you a surfer dude with a beat-up 80s Camry, with a couple of surfboards on the roof, going down the highway at 27 MPH giggling to yourself? Please go a little faster!
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 3:08:02 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

I stay off the Interstates. Those people are too crazy out there.

On the detailed order list for some cars the front plate bracket is an "option". I can't recall if it's a free option or there is a charge, it's probably a free option. Even when it's ordered it's often just thrown in the trunk and not installed.
On Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 5:30:11 PM UTC-10, Steve W. wrote:

My position would be that I'd like to put on front plates (hee hee) but there's no provision made on the car for one. In addition, there's no way to mount plates in the front without seriously affecting airflow to the cooling system.
Well that's my story and I'm sticking with it - your honor. :)