[Did it melt yet?] por 15 on brake rear brake backing plates?

[Did it melt yet?] por 15 on '71 bus brake rear brake backing plates? v I have *one coat* of por 15 on rear brake backing plates inside-and-out. Although the surface was thoroughly prepped according to por 15 instructions, Now I'm thinking, "Is that going to melt?" If you had just painted the inside of your rear brake backing plates and were thinking, "Is that going to melt?" would you: v
  1. Grind it off and/or order a set of new backing plates and start over with ceramic caliper paint.
  2. top coat [just the inside] with the silver por "20" which I have on hand for heater boxes.
  3. top with the black ceramic caliper paint which I also have on hand.
  4. Put a second coat of black por 15, because the idea was to prevent rust. v How do you think por 15 will behave on the back plates if a wheel cyl sticks open and the drum overheats? will it melt and grab? flake off into a fine dust blending in with the brake dust? Who has painted the inside of their backing plates and what horrors have you seen and/or imagined?

---end---

Reply to
Grape Daddy

I have painted the backing plates and the drums with regular Krylon paint many times and have yet to have a problem. Drum brakes do not get that hot as compared to a disk set up. Of course if you are going down a mountain at 100 mph, pulling a 24ft camper and your front wheel cylinder locks up, then you might experience some paint failure. However the condition orf your paint job would be the last of your problems. Go for it, you should not have a problem.

Butch

Reply to
Anton382

v Thanks. I was just having a bad dream. e-mail from por15.com today indicated it would stay on pretty good until about 600 degrees

---end---

Reply to
Grape Daddy