License Plates?

Is there a location I can go to if I want license plates from years past? I am lookng for a license plate from the year of my birth for the front of my Ranger.

T.

Reply to
Simon1952

Well.... you should check with your local department of motor vehicles.

I work for my state's DMV, and you cannot do what you are trying. A lot of states require two tags to be displayed (front & back), while my state only requires one in the rear of the vehicle (as I tell everyone who's not used to that, we chase you, we don't lead you). Now then, if you do want to display a vintage tag on the front of your vehicle, it has to be last registered to a vehicle with your name and address on it.

But, we also have personalized tags you can get for your vehicle which would eliminate what you are wanting to do....

Reply to
Tim

You can look on Ebay--there is a section just for license plates. There are license plates from EVERYWHERE on there for sale. You can probably find one for the year you want too.

Good luck!

Reply to
sevargmt

Reply to
sevargmt

As I said........ "CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL DMV" :-)

Reply to
Tim

Just be aware that if you cross the border out of Canada with that tag, you may have real problems - so remove it before hand in such case.

Tom J Who saw that happen in Mexico last winter

Reply to
Tom J

If your home state (or country) does not require front plates, then you are free to do as you please up there. Doesn't matter where you drive.

Reply to
Steve Barker

A US fine in Mexico? Sounds fishy. Where was this alleged vehicle from originally? China?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Rear plates only in Oklahoma... Had my old U.S. Virgin Islands plate on the front for several years without a hitch--I roamed from New Mexico (west) to Georgia (east) and DID get stopped for speeding a time or two. No comments about the plate on the front. Demolished the plate when I kissed a telephone pole in a snow & ice storm a couple years ago... :)

Good luck!

Reply to
sevargmt

The vehicle was a Chevy pickup towing a travel trailer.

I gave the amount of the fine in US dollars. It happened to have been paid in pesos, but it's not uncommon in Mexico for the police to demand payment in US dollars.

This case involved travel on a highway near Mexico City that was restricted to certain tag numbers on certain days. He had the correct tag and number on the rear but not on the front - therefore the fine.

Tom J who has traveled all over North America & would never run anything but the legal tag

Reply to
Tom J

Looks like you spawned an off-topic thread.

To answer your question, how about a car show? a swap meet? antique store? Flea market? That's where old tags go, when they're not nailed to the barn.

Reply to
Joe

Here in Texas, I can have the same plate on every car I own. :/ Whether it be one car or twenty of them. They would all say "Texas Radio Operator" on top and the license number would be NM5K. But I haven't been using them in quite a while. The last car I had ham plates on was in 1987. They had my old call. "WD5CJL". I still have them as a souvenir. I've been thinking about getting new ham plates lately...Just so I can have at least one set with my newer call.. We use front and back plates here...MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

I got one of those - same idea. You hang around flea markets and "Antique Sores" a lot, and you also talk to a lot of old farmers. (They used to nail the things to a shop wall when they expired...) With the farmer thing, you tend to get Farm Truck plates, which was OK for me, being a farm boy...

Happy Hunting,

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth