Paging Daniel Stern - re: amber turn signals

No - front turn signals **must** be amber per FMVSS 108. Rears can be amber or red.

It should be read this way:

Turn signal lamps - Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, trailers, and buses: At or near the front-1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

Reply to
y_p_w

Wooden ya know it, my personal computer cr4sh0red over the weekend... might have to wait a while until I can a) procure a replacement and b) retrieve all the files off my hard drive... I used to have pics of the parking light housings on my web site but had to take them down due to space limitations...

nate

Reply to
N8N

You're missing the point. Read Daniel's post again, he explained it to you.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

I don't think I'm missing the point. White is not a legal turn signal color anywhere. Here's his post:

DS> That Table III is, like much of FMVSS108, tough to read. "2 red DS> or amber" applies to the rear, "2 amber" applies to the front.

Ergo - must have two amber turn signal lights in the front.

DS> All regulations worldwide except North American ones require amber DS> turn signals at all four corners. Have for decades. ECE R48, ADR, DS> JIS, etc.

Ergo - all four turn signals must be amber outside of North America.

In the US, there are two options for passenger car turn signals.

1) Two amber in the front and two amber in the rear. 2) Two amber in the front and two red in the rear.
Reply to
y_p_w

The wrinkle is that the front *parking lights* which are almost always combined with the turn signals, may be white or amber. Other than very recent cars, I can only think of one example of white parking lights being used (VW Corrado) Also before 1963, in the US the front turn signals were white as well, although the number of pre-1963 cars still on the road is small at this point (I'm doing my part though )

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That is not the wrinkle at all. That has, in fact, nothing to do with the color of front turn signals.

Ulf is right(!) on this one. I did explain it in a previous post.

Audi 200 Volvo 122 Volvo 140 Toyota Camry through '95, and numerous other Toyotas Several Nissans Several different Hondas and Acuras Subaru Impreza through '01 ...

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I think I figured this out. You did say there are some 60's or older cars with white turn signals, but the standards in place since the 60's call for amber or red in the rear.

I don't recall any new car sold in the US in my lifetime with white turn signals.

Reply to
y_p_w

...keep readin'...

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You're wrong. I know my local lighting regulations, and having white front turn signals on my Camaro is legal. Besides, from a safety standpoint, which is best; having amber DRLs or white turn signals?

Sure, when the car was sold new.

I've been right the whole time. The thing is that you don't have the slightest clue what my local regulations say. All you do is cite the Federal and ECE regs.

Doesn't almost a majority of the European cars have white parking lights now?

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

While my state (California) doesn't seem to have any prohibition against white turn signal lamps, I've never seen one. I would suppose it would all depend on what the particular state law says, and whether or not there are inspections and/or the local law enforcement is willing to pull over cars for failure to meet state standards.

Reply to
y_p_w

I found this:

I'm not sure if anyone imports them to the US. There are tons of importers for the European metal base SilverVision bulbs. This particular one (WY21W) only seems to be available in Japan.

Reply to
y_p_w

And these:

I can't read Japanese, but I think that's 2,000 yen (about $18 US) for a pair.

Reply to
y_p_w

Look who's talking. Daniel, I only replied to your post, didn't edit anything in it. If you feel you're misquoted it's your fault. Then again, your reply is only to divert from the original subject since you obviously realized that it's impossible to prove me wrong...

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

We were debating whether or not they were legal, not how lax the enforcement is.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Yeah, Philips sells some interesting stuff on the Japanese market that they do not sell anywhere else in the world. Selective-yellow HID bulbs (D2R, D2S) for instance.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I know you said there were no acceptable "chrome" 7440A or WY21W bulbs, but I was guessing because the vast majority are poorly executed examples from non-name brands(like "Pilot" or "Stealth"). Do you suppose these are equivalent in performance to Philips' SilverVision line sold in Europe?

Reply to
y_p_w

Probably.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Show us the post where Daniel typed the sentence you attributed to him. You've been posting to usenet long enough to know how to quote and attribute properly. The fact that you fail to do so is noone's fault but your own.

Reply to
Arif Khokar