Pennsylvania inspection of a real *bomb* lol

I have a '90 LeBaron w/the following issues:

1) needs struts/shocks

2) needs radiator

3) burns oil, particularly when idling, was told needs valve stem seals replaced

4) steering wheel wobbles when driving 20-35 mph (most pronounced there anyway).

hole in catalytic converter *intentional*. While driving on rte.80 over a year ago, it wouldn't take to hills very well (would overheat), apparently due to clogged cat from leaking oil. I needed to drive another ~150 miles, so my guess was punching a hole in the cat would relieve the pressure.

After I got it home from that trip, it had a number of electrical problems, so I left it alone until recently. Runs fine, but has the above issues.

So my question is how much of this can I *get away with*, w/o dumping too much money into an old beater. I certainly am not replacing the cat, cuz it'll just bite the dust once more when that oil gets to it (I figure for inspections sake, I could patch it w/epoxy putty or something). PA is a bit more of a pain then NY/NJ, so I'm looking to hear from someone who's been through it.

And I do live in a county where only a safety inspection is required.

I figured right off I could get away w/1 and 4, being they're not going to take it for a test drive. If I leave the heat on (obviously a problem in the summer), the radiator gets depleted ~1 quart over several days to a week I guess, so no big issue there. And since they're not going to be running it, the smoking/oil leaking won't be apparent. Thanks in advance for the help.

If it makes any difference, I'll be having the thing looked at in the Philly area.

Reply to
Chris

I know a guy (via emailing) who lives in Philadelphia,Penns Woods.According to him about autos,you can't ''get away'' with anything in Penns Woods. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

1) needs struts/shocks Can be failed only if leaking, broken, missing, or rebound is excessive. 2) needs radiator... Can be failed only if leaking onto engine belts causing a steering problem, running problem or visability hazard. 3) burns oil, particularly when idling, was told needs valve stem seals replaced... Can be failed only if causing a visibility hazard due to excessive smoke, leaking onto engine belts causing a steering problem, running problem. 4) steering wheel wobbles when driving 20-35 mph (most pronounced there anyway)... Will have to be repaired. 5)hole in catalytic converter *intentional*...

Will have to be "REPLACED" (There can not be any external repairs on mufflers or convertors. Repairs to pipes are permissable.

Reply to
dahpater

LOL LOL LOL @ missing struts. LOL LOL

But how would they know? Truthfully that is a problem I'm going to address in the next couple of days though...

I think I might try to patch it in an inconspicuous manner. No way I'm putting a brand new cat in at this point, not until I decide if I want to do the valve stems seal job. Maybe I'll just junk the car before very long...

Funny I brought my van in last year, attempting to get that through. It has some sort of an exhaust leak, which makes it noisy while driving. He told me flat out to take it to an exhaust shop, cuz I wasn't getting a nod w/that problem. I couldn't understand why though. I think he even said that it was not permissible to repair pipes, but maybe it was just that mine were pretty nasty. Maybe some of these guys are more anal then others.

If you're reading this stuff from a spec or something, I'd like to know where you found it. Presumably you're a mechanic in PA. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Chris

(3) Inspect suspension system and REJECT IF one or more of the following apply: (i) The ball joint movement is in excess of the manufacturer?s specifications. (ii) The shock absorbers are missing. (iii) The shock absorbers mounting bolts or mounts are broken. (iv) The shock absorbers have severe leakage?not slight dampness. (v) The sway or stabilizer bar is missing or broken. (vi) The coil spring or main leaf spring is broken if originally equipped. (vii) The spring attaching part is loose, badly worn, broken or missing. (viii) Spring shackle kits or blocks are used to lower the suspension of the front of the vehicle. (ix) Spring shackle kits are more than 2 inches over original equipment. (x) Blocks are used on front axle to raise the vehicle. (xi) Blocks used on rear axle exceed 5 inches over original equipment.

(4) There is a malfunction of the braking or steering mechanism, in particular shimmy, wander, pull or another questionable operating behavior that affects safe operation of the vehicle.

(6) Inspect exhaust system and REJECT IF one or more of the following apply: (i) The vehicle has no muffler or muffler has external repair. (ii) There are loose or leaking joints. (iii) There are holes, cracks or leaking seams in exhaust system. (iv) There is muffler cutout or similar device. (v) Part of the exhaust system passes through occupant compartment. (vi) The elements are not securely fastened with proper clamps and hangers. (vii) The exposed exhaust system does not have adequate heat shield or protective system. (viii) The exhaust does not discharge to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed.

Oh and FYI you violated the federal clean air act by disabling the cat in the first place.

Reply to
Steve W.