penny sized oil drip

94 honda dx automatic.

I noticed a penny sized oil drip each morning. it's tiny, but noticeable. it's underneath the front just located in the center.

since it's a 10 year old car, should i go and have it fixed or just trade it in? suggestions please.

Reply to
kilroybass

trade it in ? no wait fix it ?? no wait junk it!!!!

Reply to
tudysmuck

" snipped-for-privacy@usa.com" writes in article dated 27 Sep 2005

16:31:25 -0700:

Don't store any food or drink under the engine unless it's in a sealed container. You don't want to be eating oil! :^)

Seriously, make sure the oil drain plug, oil filter, and oil pan bolts are tight.

Even if it's something more expensive like a seal, it isn't a threat to the engine if you check the oil regularly. You can fix it or not at your discretion.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

Stick a piece of plywood or something under the engine to catch the oil and keep it from damaging an asphalt driveway, or to keep a concrete drive or garage floor clean.

If you just got the oil or coolant changed take the vehicle back and tell them to fix it.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

As a Studebaker owner, my best advice is to check and make sure there's still oil in the crankcase. A good overnight drip should be at least as big as the bottom of a can of Coke.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Don't be ridiculous since this isn't something serious, like having to change the radio station buttons. To get an idea of how much fluid is leaking out, pour a tablespoon of water on the driveway and notice what a large puddle it makes in comparison. Can you live with having to replenish a tablespoon of fluid every week (more like 4 or 8 tablespoons every 1 or 2 months)?

If this is transmission fluid, a fluid change may stop the leak by replenishing the chemical that makes seals swell. But don't add a can of seal sweller alone.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

yeah sheeesh, don't leave your open contact lenses under there. :) I have an 86 Jag.... you wanna see leaks? huh? lol. If its liquid, my car can leak it! Well, if I can help it that is.

Searsly, try and perhaps see where its coming from under the hood if you can, or have it put on a lift for inspection. This may be a good time to see a seap before it gets too blasted all over the place. Then decide if its something urgent or not.

well...thats what I'd do.....my .02....

Reply to
ed

ah fix it .. put some of that mystery oil in da car

Reply to
tudysmuck

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8... |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----| ...^

My Troll-o-Meter says, "Very Lame"

Reply to
mst

I wouldn't know about leaks because my car is a Toyota. I once forgot to tighten the heater hose clamps, but it still didn't leak.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Wipe up the drip.

Reply to
Steve

Well, only one of the Toyotas in the family leaks noticeable amounts of engine or driveline fluids, but two of them leak rainwater into the trunk. I solved this with new gaskets, a considerable amount of Polyseamseal adhesive caulk, and, in the case of the more abused example, partial removal of one of the drain plugs in the spare-tire well to let it leak right on out again.

One of them also leaks oil into the combustion chamber and then out the exhaust pipe in somewhat greater amounts than I really care for, but only in around-town driving and not so much as to make visible smoke.

They're nice cars and we're all pretty sold on 'em, but I'd stop short of any claims of perfection. Admittedly, a lot of people around me have paid a lot more without getting any closer to perfection, or even

*as* close...

Anyway, my suggestion for the original poster would be to figure out what the fluid is and just where it's coming from; then we can advise further. If it's oil, and the PCV valve is working (i.e., you're not forcing it out with crankcase pressure), and the bolts are snug down there, try a high-miler motor oil in the engine and a piece of cardboard where you park.

Going after a trivial leak in an otherwise sound engine can definitely open Pandora's toolbox. If it's power steering fluid (don't Hondas use a special formula that looks somewhat like motor oil) or transmission fluid, we need to look elsewhere for the answer.

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Spray foaming engine degreaser onto the block where the oil is dripping down from. Rinse with brake cleaner. Later, observe source of oil and go from there.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood